Rollcage - Placement of crossbar behind OEM Dash and Gauges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
Has anybody managed to run a cross bar in behind the gauges in an OEM Dash and still have everything work?

I want to run all the factory gauges and speedo cable and also have the cross bar run between the downbars on a rollcage in a Malibu.....

Heater/Aircon is gone, just worried the bar will interfere with things on the driver side?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know how you are going to do that when the downs bars do not go past front of the dash...

GBodyCageMainPic.jpg

IMG_20110221_220523.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I was going to run the down bars through the dash pad.....then hope to run the cross bar contoured across the firewall....just not sure how much room will be left for the speedo cable and wiring to back of the gauges?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I guess you will be fabricating your own cage then cause I have not seen any prefrabricated cage extend into the dash area.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
It's possible but that's alot of work. I know that l've had my hand an part of my arm up behind the cluster.

If your heater and system is out then passenger side is easy. Only thing on drivers side is the parking brake framing an fusebox that could be in the way of routing it to floor. But behind dash there is room to run it across firewall.

Down the A pillar into the dash and across firewall and back up the other A pillar would work.

Not sure why you wish to go to all that work, but not my car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
I've already cured the park brake pedal assembly by spacing it out on an angle and it clears the down bar and functions as if it were OEM. The cross bar was the part I am worried about because I haven't got the dash handy to check fitment at present.....sounds like I am fine though....cheers for the replies

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
^^^^ very nice

my plans are to street the car.....with a little bit of playing on track....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor