Roof Rail Weatherstrips - which one is the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The strips arrived in the mail yesterday, the RH is correct and is in mint condition, ready to install. Rubber is in better condition than any aftermarket stuff out there, you can really feel the difference.

I didn't even bother to open the box for the LH side, it's not needed so I'll probably re-sell it at a later date.
That's what I'm talking about. NOTHING beats OEM GM weatherstripping all else being equal. It does suck that even the newest stuff is old. But still, if taken care of in storage, it holds up surprisingly well.

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
You got that right, in this case I believe the RH was in the original sealed packaging until the e bay seller opened it to take photos. The other one is older and is in the GM box, I'd prefer the sealed package, no air getting in is a plus.

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
Yay!!! Perseverance pays off! 👏

I've got several sets of those laying around. I didn't want to mention that earlier because then you'd bug the heck out of me about them. :) I'll probably be buried with all this sh*t because I'm not going to get 1099-K'd out the wazoo selling it anymore. I sold several sets of these a few years ago on ebay along with some T-top seals. They were quite popular.

Did you get the early version or the better-sealing later numbers (which is why they changed the p/n's)? Early versions were 20154105 and 20154106 and were interchangeable with 20038038 and 20038039. Then they changed to 20737658 and 20737659. The original versions didn't quite seal as well as the newer versions, or so says GM. Somewhere on the back of the strip should be a molded in partial part number which should clue you in to which is which.

View attachment 194129
Great info. If you ever want to give up a spare set please let me know. I have been looking for sometime now. Thank you!

Rocket350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2021
Charlevoix, MI
Good to know but thanx, I've got the NOS ones. Now to get them installed......
I was able to find the LH & RH lower and a RH upper NOS. Still looking for a LH upper. If you have an extra LH upper I would be more than happy to purchase it from you. Please let me know so I can sleep at night. This resto parts search is fun, challenging but quite frankly, exhausting! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor