Rooftop problem , need recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 14, 2020
I bought this near perfect 1984 Chevy Monte Carlo a couple weeks ago. Everything apart from the rear roof seems perfect but I’m unsure what to do with the roof itself, get it completely re-done ? But a replacement ? Vinyl top it ? I need help and any recommendations are appreciated :) thanks everybody

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 161
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 188
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
That's gonna be a lot of work. Find a hard top monte and cut that whole roof section, from the 1/4 windows to the rear window and replace it. the inner structure looks ****ed too. you've got a lot of work ahead of you, but it's confined to a relatively smallish area. good luck.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
GM ought to have their cheap *sses kicked for not finishing off the roofs like THEY SHOULD HAVE. You would think it would have been MORE of a process not to shoot the entire roof, YOUR RIGHT THERE! Love my G bodies, but D*ME, the Half *ss crap they did amazes me they sold as many G bodies as they did. GM's thought was...no one will find out until 20 years later, then it'll be outta site outta mind outta warranty, and the owners problem. I agree with MrSony, find a donor car and cut away. make sure you take more than you need when you cut the roof off the donor car, you can always trim them back, but you can't add what's not there!

Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
It can be fixed but will be a great deal of work. This is a good look at what it takes. Start at post 71.....

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Better have a look at the floors, I can't believe there aren't huge holes in them as well. All that water went somewhere

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I could only imagine what a G body next to a coastline would look like, with the moisture and salt air/water after 20 years of exposure o_O

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
It can be fixed but it will be time consuming and very expensive, especially if you can't do the work yourself. Like more than you could find a good body for. By the time you get the roof fixed and the car painted you'll probably be in over 15k for a car with a resale value of 3k. That's just my opinion and I don't mean to discourage but if it were me that would be a parts car or a roadkill style convertible :banana:

Reactions: 1 user

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I would encourage you to do a complete and thorough assessment of the car before proceeding. What work is needed and what the parts will ultimately cost you. By all means learn to do as much of the work as you can, that's where the big bucks are.
Good luck! We're here to steer you in the right direction.
This was the advice I got before I started my project. Floors turned into body mounts,wheelhouses,seat belt mounts,back seat and trunk patches...... It snowballs fast. But it sure would suck to fix that roof just to find out your floors and back seat are rusted.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor