Rough day, DD may wind up a project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Figured I throw this out there since some of us are car guys in general and may wonder how some hold up to the unexpected.

So, I'll admit the dark secret - my DD for the last 3 years have been Mustangs. In 2014, it came down to the best optioned, best performing car for the money and I bought my first (still hard to believe) Ford product, a 2014 mustang, to get one of the last live rear axle cars built. This year I upgraded to a 2016, relegating the 2014 to a garage weekend car status.

Today, the 2016 was rear ended by a late model tahoe up on rims while we were stopped, blinker on, waiting for a turn. Driver also had no license at all, and no tags on the truck (using GA version of a used car lot temp tag). Driver got arrested among citations, but waiting to see how insurances play out... thank god for carrying uninsured/underinsured, should work out ok in the end... just going to be slower with headaches along the way.

Speaking of headaches, have one, got out of the er around 10pm but luckily the injuries/spasms and the like are basically all soft tissue after the ct scans and related fun.

Sorry for the vent, here is what I wanted to share. We were dead stop, and admittedly much lighter vehicle. Speed zone was 45 mph, and while we don't know what the tahoe was doing, we do know it didn't try to stop before impact. Car did well, and should be repairable after the fact. Impact slightly off center, hit fell about 10 inches to the RH of the centerline then over to the RH edge of car. Rear cover bent up and loose, taillamp and such broke of course, trunk lid jammed in and down, passenger door barely making slight contact with a couple spots on the fender when opening/closing. Really not bad for what you would expect. Worst of the damage is some unibody movement since the body gap at quarter panel spread a uniform finger width wider than the 1/8 inch it started as. From 50 feet away it doesn't even look very damaged.

So, real world story of a car doing its job, well, in a bad situation. So if you're looking for something to DD in, at least in my experience, this particular car did as well as it looked. Meanwhile I get more rest and muscle relaxants while we wait to see the insurance attitude.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Well, glad you're alright!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I hope your back calms down, I know what spasms are like. Tough luck with the car but seeing it's a new 2016 it won't be hard to replace

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
glad everything is soft tissue, and nothing broken or crushed. not gonna rub you on the mustang as we bought ours new off the lot 8years ago, and with only 62k on the clock, it still has alot of life left in her! I have to say that I feel safer in our 2008 than I did in my old fox body I had briefly, years ago, and our old 1998 that we traded in on the new one..... just a more solid feel of a car, that handles really well.

as for damage, shouldn't be a problem being repaired, my niece had her brand new Kia optima {new as in 12 miles ) hit by someone texting while driving (he actually hit 5 cars, hers was the 4th in the line) and had the entire driver's side rear corner replaced on it.... just don't be in a hurry to get it back from the body shop, as it'll probably take around 6-8 weeks....

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Glad your roll cage was a 2016 - replaceable - rather than a G-body - not really replaceable. It's a drag that the other driver was 100% irresponsible and now you're hurting. Maybe you can file for his Tahoe...if it had a 6.0 LS...

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Boss's 20K mile SRT Challenger was involved in a very similar deal Thursday night right in front of the shop, stopped at a red light. Fool told the police he " could have stopped if his tires weren't bald" Thanks, and here's another citation (also cited for too fast for conditions).

Hope you have good insurance, cause I'm going to guess he had none.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Been pretty busy and crazy of late, haven't even made it on the board between therapy and dealing with all the fun stuff that comes from being hit by an unlicensed driver.

The car was about $500 shy of being totalled per the insurance, but, they insisted on fixing it... oh well.

The entire passenger side of the car (from the door back) had shifted forwards about an inch. Then the rear of the car as measured from one qtr panel to another spread wider than it should be. Check out the gap on the trunk lid to quarter panel... other side isn't any better!

20161017_165257.jpg

Soon as it comes back it gets traded in, just need to decide on what...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor