Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte1981

n00b
Aug 26, 2019
My 1981 Chevy Monte Carlo has been running very rough when idling. When I put it in drive it gets a lot worse, but at high rpm it is smooth. I’ve just replaced all of the spark plugs yesterday and it was running smoother than ever. The engine has 72,000km on it and has brand new oil, air and fuel filters. Any advice would be appreciated greatly!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
what did the plugs that you removed looked like? Does it idle rough cold or at operating temperature

Reactions: 1 user

Monte1981

n00b
Aug 26, 2019
the plugs looked really good for their age, no oil or liquid on the electrodes. The idle is rough cold and when it’s warmed up. I did find a very small crack in one of the electrodes of the new spark plug I put in, do you think that has any relevance?

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Personally I would check for a cracked , weathered or broken vacuum lines. Replace the cracked plug and check the condition of the plug wires and the distributor cap. Just my $.02.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the plugs looked really good for their age, no oil or liquid on the electrodes. The idle is rough cold and when it’s warmed up. I did find a very small crack in one of the electrodes of the new spark plug I put in, do you think that has any relevance?

change that plug cause that could be the cause of the rough idle

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Plug wires as mentioned above. If they're the stock type/routing, the replacements available aren't nearly as good as they used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor