rubber brake line

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
is rubber brake line suitable suitable to run from the master cyl to the main brake lines?

i would say no because on both my cars the lines are metal from the master cylinder to some part near the suspention, then a rubber hose to the caliber/drum. and if you look at yer lines comming from the master cylinder there coiled then they go to the wheels. i forget why there coiled but i know it needs to be done that way.

Agreed. You want to have as little rubber in the system as possible. Mainly because rubber degrades over time and you'll have that much more you'll have to replace.

Why are you wanting to use rubber line??? What's wrong with the stock steel lines?

If the steel lines are shot, you can buy new prebent steel or stainless steel lines.

Get a flaring tool and learn how to do double flares. Lisle makes a good one. Also a tubing bender to make the coils. Then bend up all the lines you need. The reason for the coiled lines is to absorbe flex since the body and frame can move on the rubber mounts.

Bonnewagon said:
Get a flaring tool and learn how to do double flares. Lisle makes a good one. Also a tubing bender to make the coils. Then bend up all the lines you need. The reason for the coiled lines is to absorbe flex since the body and frame can move on the rubber mounts.
X2! rubber also flexes under pressure--not a good thing!

Don't do it. The only reason they use rubber by the suspension components is because they need to be able to easily flex due to suspension travel. That isn't regular rubber either, it is designed to not expand as much when you press the brake pedal and not be affected by the corrosive brake fluid.

The only place where a "rubber" line is permitted in a brake hydrauic system, are the factory installed flex hoses. The flex hoses are actually a 3 layer hose, which is specifically designed to withstand the high hydraulic pressures that are generated within the brake hydraulic system. I've never seen any kind of rubber hose or clamp which would withstand these pressures without rupturing or failing. In most areas, rubber hoses in a brake hydraulic system are considered to be illegal.

ok i went and got some steel lines but the coils werent as bad as i thought. which proves never work on the car high. among other tings dont shop high either. i just had to go buy another double flare kit because the threads on my old rail was shot.

pimplogic said:
...which proves never work on the car high. among other tings dont shop high either...

Never say never! :lol:

I got good and ripped and ended up with this...
3895230022_medium.jpg

Of course I did end up staring at stuff in the aisles of the parts store for a lot longer than I needed to... :lol:

I dont care to use the rubber flex lines at all. I have stainless steel braided brake lines on my nova and will be upgrading the olds as soon as the snow clears. It was amazing how much better the brakes feel with the braided hoses.

Sounds like someone cant handle their buzz 😛 :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor