Rubber liners on gas tank straps????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Did gbodys have rubber liners on the gas tank straps from the factory? When I pulled mine apart there were none. When I bought my tank and straps from tanks Inc I purchased rubber strap liners. If they weren't in there from the factory I'm going to leave them out. Thanks in advance!!!

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
my factory tank/straps didn't have rubber padding; I saw that comes on a lot of new stuff nowadays. I re-used the old tank and straps and fasteners when I installed EFI. Rubber straps seem like a good idea so long as they are not the problem with fitment - I would keep them. Block of wood on a jack and partial engagement of forward fasteners before I put the aft fasteners through the loop and tightened all down incrementally, shifting tank as needed, and congratulated myself. Biggest issues were getting the last gallon of gas out of the tank, and keeping it clean, and not blowing myself up with a tool spark.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Old school cars used tarpaper. I used thin rubber scraps rescued from a neighbor’s pond (liner) project.

I bought longer bolts and lifted the tank (empty) into place with a floor jack, small piece of plywood to spread the load on the tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
G-bodies didn't come with them for the most part. Perhaps wagons maybe? I dunno. There's no GMSPO parts support for them specifically. GM still sells insulator straps, but those are for newer cars. They did use the tarpaper straps as ssn696 stated, but those were the old days.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Buick GN came with rubber straps on the tank from the factory.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yup. Forgot about those 6 cylinder turbo cars. Hardly ever think about them. Later versions used further insulation on the bottom of the tank as well. 25519978 for those "patches" and 25519980 for the insulator straps regardless of year of turbo 6 (VIN9 or VIN7).

The reason the non-turbo cars didn't need them is that if you've ever done a tank replacement, you KNOW how tight those straps are. The tank is virtually immovable. Gas sloshing around is the only worry, and it's not expected to make any noise.

Oh, yeah, the turbo cars used a body bushing bolt for the front gas tank strap too. P/N 14085302. 2 per car. I suppose because they're longer to make up for the straps. You're welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Yup. Forgot about those 6 cylinder turbo cars. Hardly ever think about them. Later versions used further insulation on the bottom of the tank as well. 25519978 for those "patches" and 25519980 for the insulator straps regardless of year of turbo 6 (VIN9 or VIN7).

The reason the non-turbo cars didn't need them is that if you've ever done a tank replacement, you KNOW how tight those straps are. The tank is virtually immovable. Gas sloshing around is the only worry, and it's not expected to make any noise.

Oh, yeah, the turbo cars used a body bushing bolt for the front gas tank strap too. P/N 14085302. 2 per car. I suppose because they're longer to make up for the straps. You're welcome.
My car "sings" from the in-tank fuel pump. Might look into trying the bushing bolts and rubber insulation. Learn something new every day here.

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I read a while back that people were using bicycle inner tubes cut to size for the tank strap rubber... I thought it was a pretty good idea

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor