Running a/c with no ecm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
is it possible to run a/c with in a 86 monte ss with no ecm.

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
more details please.how would you wire it?

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
i wonder if that would work with my Monte.gbodys a gbody i guess.has anybody with a Monte has tried this? ?

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
thanks that was a great link

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
I too have a 1986 Olds cutlass supreme with (now) a Olds 350 that is not running off the computer, BUT......i kept all my wires intact from all the Smog and emission accessories and have wondered about this very issue of running a/c on a car thats no longer ecm controlled. I havent disconnected any wires to the ecm, so everything is just as it was when the original 307 was hooked up the the ecm, but my question is, is it fair to assume that my a/c will still work. I recently transplanted my 350 and havent been able to charge my a/c system back up to see if it does or not but is it likely that it will. Im mechanically inclined but really dont know or understand electrical wiring issues, hence my posting to this previously asked question. Thanks John

Jim H.

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
I removed my computer from my 84 H/O and retrofitted the a/c to the new stuff and have had it running only thing I have noticed is the high setting doesn't seem to blow out very hard from the vents but I have never considered removing the computer would be a problem. Would this affect the blower speed?

RO86SS

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2009
tampa,fl
i was looking At my wire schematic on my Monte ss.from the ac harness comes a light green wire that goes to the cycle switch then splits off to the ecm,then goes to the ac compressor clutch and the other wire on the connector is ground an it gets grounded somewhere.i figure if you disconect the one to the ecm it should still work. i think

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
the PCM controls the CCC system and has nothing to do with your HVAC. However if you pull the PCM then you need to switch to the older non computer distributor, carb and wire up a switch for your OD lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor