Running An Experiment

GP403

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Inola, OK
Just a heads up, guys. I'm running an experiment on the site with a company that claims to be able to boost revenue AND user engagement with their own ad system (vs. say Google) .... so you are likely to see fewer ads, you might see ads pop up in weird places.

How its supposed to work (or has until now) : Guest/unregistered users saw all the ads, Registered users see far fewer, and you Supporters (thanks!) should ONLY see the Sponsor banner at the top, and maybe some other stuff that isn't (I hope) intrusive at all.

IF it gets really weird, out of hand, or you Supporters start seeing stuff all over, please let me know so I can try to tweak the settings and rein it in. Hopefully it turns out a win on all sides, but I remain skeptical. Heard a lot of good things, so we'll see how it goes.

This isn't the place to bitch about ads on the internet. It's what keeps the site (and basically all others out there) running. Without it we wouldn't be here. I try to keep things from getting too tacky and billboard-y here, and I don't intend for that to change. This experiment should tell me what ads/positions are working, which aren't, and where I should consider putting different ones, stuff like that.

But like I said, if things get strange or this new system starts showing ads where they don't belong.... feel free to post in here with screenshots, etc. so I can fix it. Thanks.

GP403

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Inola, OK
and its already getting a little weird. I'm watching it closely.

melloelky

melloelky

G-Body Guru
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I noticed about a month ago the amount of ads when using my phone makes the site basically unusable but i think it's a phone problem so i don't use it on my phone.

GP403

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Inola, OK
I noticed about a month ago the amount of ads when using my phone makes the site basically unusable but i think it's a phone problem so i don't use it on my phone.
That's part of the problem I'm trying to resolve, using the correct ad formats for different devices. Overall it might look like its getting worse initially, but that's just the system trying to "learn" what is best and what doesn't work....

...like the stupid square ads its throwing at the top of the page even though I've told it not to use those. :mad: ...

melloelky

melloelky

G-Body Guru
Oct 22, 2017
mass
the members online portion also stays in the middle of the screen,i can scroll the page up and down under it.

GP403

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Inola, OK
the members online portion also stays in the middle of the screen,i can scroll the page up and down under it.
can you post a screenshot of this happening? I know I'm not seeing that here(!)

It will be a work in progress for a little while. MACHINE LEARNING IS FUN.

fleming442

fleming442

Geezer
Dec 26, 2013
Alright, you may not want to hear this, but here it goes (and I don't understand any of it and equate it with telemarketers): the ads you agree to place on YOUR website are clickbait, period. No one in their right mind is lured to them; well, I'm not, but I don't consider myself normal, either. I guess what I'm trying to say is that until these ads become truly intrusive, they are white noise to me. They will get no attention, but if they help you pay your bills, more power to ya..

GP403

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Inola, OK

yeah that's not good. can you click that little X in the corner of the ad, maybe its just that particular one? I dunno. I'll have to see what I can do about that.... :/

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blackonblack General Discussion 3
-83MONTESS- General Discussion 59