Running engine on open exhaust manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
I am about to start my sbc engine that I swapped into my 80 monte carlo. I have not hooked up the exhaust and have sbc ram style exhaust manifolds. Will I be ok and is it safe? Will the engine compartment fill of smoke?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it'll be loud but safe and as far as smoke goes that depends on how the carburetor is

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I did that for 6 months on my old '70 429 Thunderbird. It was fine. :D
Seriously though, it will be fine, but it will be the loudest damn thing. And watch for flames. I'd invest in some downpipes, just to route it out of the engine compartment.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Gotta run the as quiet as you could to hear any death sounds. Uncork the pipes after the break in is done.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yea if there's a problem you want to here it so you can fix it never pull the pin and keep the grenade

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Downpipes and walker quiet flow mufflers. I LOVE loud cars, but you gotta be able to throw stuff on to quiet 'er down so you can tune and hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor