running hot need some input

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
So i have a pretty well stock 87 442. 307 bored .060 over. Crossover pipe gone, duals ran side by side no heat riser. Everything else is bone stock. Engine has about 2k on it. On hot days or highway trips with the a/c on it runs kind of hot i think. I just noticed it more today with no a/c on in town about 90 degrees out my gauge read almost 220 so i drove home. Got my temp gun turned the a/c on and pointed it around the intake. Water neck radiator, upper hose and i was reading about 230 the radiator ( aiming through the fan ) read about 180-190. Any thoughts?
Newer radiator, newer water pump, new thermostat.
Nothing in the way of the radiator. Then again radiator looked to be at 190ish and the engine was 230..

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I wonder if your thermostat isn't opening all the way. I had a new high flow just get worse and worse until it didn't open at all.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Your fan clutch may be slipping at higher temps. When it's hot like that the fan should have a bit of a roar to it. They should slip at low temp and spin faster as it heats up.

ERIC87442

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2009
Monroe, Wisconsin
Thermostat was a thought. Fan clutch too but fan cluch wouldnt explain the higher temps on the highway.it ran a bit hotter with a/c on when i first got it and it had a flex fan and 165 thermostat and 2 weak cylinders. So i rebuilt the motoer. Put a older clutch fan off another 442 i had and new 195 thermostat. So this problem was there before. Previous owner said the same so he replaced the radiator, flex fan, waterpump and 165 thermostat and it still did this.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Another thought, my '79 has a flat black plastic air dam under the core support. I'm not sure if the later body style does or not. It is a common problem for highway speed overheating on Fbodys if that is missing or broken from getting too close to the curb. Low speed doesn't seem to be much of an issue, but freeway speeds need that to direct the air through instead of around the radiator.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
have you removed the rad cap to see what flow you have thru the rad. I once got a rebuilt pump that had the wrong impeller so it wasn't moving the coolant and the car ran hot

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Lower radiator hose collapsing? Sorry, running out of ideas.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
What radiator do you have? Many of the replacement radiators aren't very good and are definitely not as good as the factory ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor