Running Rich, SES Light with Codes 34 & 44

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
I have had this 83 H/O for awhile now and it has seemed to run rich ever since I had it. It is a little difficult to start when the engine is cold, but once started and running it will fire right up every time. It smells rich, and I don't think my MPG is all that good.

Last week, I got the Service Engine Soon Light and ran the codes with a paper clip. It flashed a 34 & 44. Oxygen Sensor and MAP sensor.

1, Can one of these failing lead to the other code?
2. Where is the O2 sensor located? Pax side exhaust from what I read, is it easily accessible? from the top or bottom? Any tricks or gotchas?

Thanks!

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Running rich often contaminates the O2 sensor. I'd look at the MAP sensor and related wiring first, correct issues there, then replace the O2 sensor.

I believe the PCM will go full rich in the absence of a signal within it's desired operating range to prevent leaning the engine out and causing damage.

blackonblack

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 17, 2017
Final update and result: I started with the MAP sensor. I didn’t notice a significant change. After a couple days I went back and changed the o2 sensor.

For the guy who is researching how to best do this, it was easy to get at after removing the passenger tire. A bit of a bear coming out after 35 years...

The o2 sensor did the trick. Not running rich anymore, idling better, and doesn’t bog down when AC is on and at idle.

Thanks for the help fellas

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor