Rust oleum rattle can primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
Priming my inner fender liners w/ rustoleum auto primer and the finish came out really rough, like sand paper. The fender liner was pretty smooth prior to being sprayed. From what I’ve read, sounds like it came out too dry? It was a new can, but it’s been in my garage for a few weeks. Is this normal, or is it just rustoleum? A friend who restores C1 corvettes prefers krylon. Thoughts?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
How did you prep the plastic before you primed it ? Not sure if its your problem but I was told if the shine on the inners is sanded once its primed it shows all the scratches. I dont remember what I used to scuff them but I used an epoxy primer before I painted them and they look fine.
You should also think about using an adhesion promoter before you spray them with anything. Including the primer. Not much different than doing interior plastics.

IMG_0578.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
How did you prep the plastic before you primed it ? Not sure if its your problem but I was told if the shine on the inners is sanded once its primed it shows all the scratches. I dont remember what I used to scuff them but I used an epoxy primer before I painted them and they look fine.
You should also think about using an adhesion promoter before you spray them with anything. Including the primer. Not much different than doing interior plastics.

View attachment 206292 It looks good. Like the finish, not shinny with a dullish finish

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
Sorry for not being more specific, It was the metal inner fenders, not the plastic ones. Think my problem was I was holding the can too far. I was holding it about 10” away but the stuff inside didn’t seem to like that…

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
sounds like it came out too dry?
Are you experiencing the brutal summer heat like we are? I ask because I once tried spray painting in similar weather and the paint literally dried in the air before it could reach the item. Now I wait for cooler weather. If you mixed and sprayed the paint yourself you could adjust the thinner/reducer for the ambient conditions. With a rattle can you are stuck with a general mixture.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thats another big issue this time of year. Humidity and rattle can paint do not mix well. You might need to sand stuff down and respray when the humidity is lower. I dont use aerosol paint unless the humidity is well under 50%. Even lower is better. I even tried to spray parts outside and bring them into the AC and it didnt matter. The paint stull blushed.

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
Thanks for the reply. It wasn’t too humid but like I said I think it just dried prior to hitting the metal. Ive got a hlvp hun may just start buying the quart and doing that instead. I sanded it down, might try again when it’s cooler…

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor