Rust on Chrome wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
Hi guys,
I just bought a set of 15 inch rallys, and they have rust pits. I know there are several different ways to take care of this problem, but I want to ask you guys. I always get great information here, and I'm sure many of you have used different methods and may have the best solution in my case.

Question, can all of the rust be removed? I've heard of some guys getting to the pitted areas and touch them up with paint and polish later. Thanks in advance.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I had a set of Cragar SS's that were rusted and I used aluminum foil, soap and some elbow grease to get the rust off. It's weird but aluminum foil will get the rust off just use it to scrub the affected areas.

Reactions: 1 user

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
I had a set of Cragar SS's that were rusted and I used aluminum foil, soap and some elbow grease to get the rust off. It's weird but aluminum foil will get the rust off just use it to scrub the affected areas.
I will give it a go. The foil is softer so it shouldn't scratch the surface of the chrome.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I've had best results this way.

1.) Use triple zero steel wool and lubricate with your favorite detail spray. You may have to make several passes, but you will start to see 90% of the surface rust coming off.

2.) Once you are done, clean the wheels with Griot's garage heavy duty wheel cleaner.

3.) You may need to follow up with your metal polish of choice afterwards.

I just detailed a motorcycle recently and used this method. Although there wasn't much surface rust on the chrome on this bike, there was a lot of scaly build up that a normal wash or metal polish wasn't touching.

Before:
IMG_1753.JPG

After:
IMG_1772.JPG

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

darwynv

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 3, 2015
You can also use broze/brass wool as an alternative to steel wool.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I used Wenol/Simichrome polish and a dremel tool with a polishing bit to do a set of Dodge ram steel wheels and a set of Chrome plated AL wheels and the difference was night/day. When I started on both I thought they were too far gone to save based on the amount of rust/pitting. The chrome shine held up for years afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor