BUILD THREAD Rustier then I thought!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If I’m understanding you correctly, where you have 3 layers. I’d drill out some plug weld holes in the middle layer first. Weld and finish them, then weld on the 3rd piece.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
People are looking at me funny as I stand here applauding your dedication and execution.

This is fantastic content.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
If I’m understanding you correctly, where you have 3 layers. I’d drill out some plug weld holes in the middle layer first. Weld and finish them, then weld on the 3rd piece.
Right on. I got a cheap cleco tool and butt weld clamps to weld in the trunk pan patch. I was just trying to keep from welding over head by welding the mount to the trunk pan patch then welding that to the car but that would limit my adjustability. So I'm going with your route. Thanks for the help again.

Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
People are looking at me funny as I stand here applauding your dedication and execution.

I have to admit that you sure aren’t lazy.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis

I understand completely. My whole family thinks Im nuts. It was either junk it or use it to learn and buy tools😁 Ive always wanted to "build a hot rod" not necessarily repair this much rust but f*** it why not. I actually care about the car this having given me some peace with my moms passing. I didn't actually just jump in. I've read countless threads on here. Both rktpwrds, northern regal,injected cutty,eme macks,oldsofb YouTube vids and thread and the guy from iceland erikson? Before I really started on it. I've started on yours but really im saving most of it for later after the rust repair. I skipped ahead to your sail panel fab. I couldn't have done any if this without this forum tbh. I wouldn't have had the balls or knowledge or help when needed. Now im gonna go work on the car.
I forgot about dougs elco wagon more amazing fabrication and has helped steer me down the right path for sure.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I understand completely. My whole family thinks Im nuts. It was either junk it or use it to learn and buy tools😁 Ive always wanted to "build a hot rod" not necessarily repair this much rust but f*** it why not. I actually care about the car this having given me some peace with my moms passing. I didn't actually just jump in. I've read countless threads on here. Both rktpwrds, northern regal,injected cutty,eme macks,oldsofb YouTube vids and thread and the guy from iceland erikson? Before I really started on it. I've started on yours but really im saving most of it for later after the rust repair. I skipped ahead to your sail panel fab. I couldn't have done any if this without this forum tbh. I wouldn't have had the balls or knowledge or help when needed. Now im gonna go work on the car.
I forgot about dougs elco wagon more amazing fabrication and has helped steer me down the right path for sure.

GP403 maybe it is time to start recognizing those key content contributors on this site? They are the difference makers in the strength/health/success of this community. It may even be something as simple as a sub-forum for "Hall of Fame" builds or tutorials? I know I see very specific threads getting linked on FB for just that reason. Food for thought.

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
GP403 maybe it is time to start recognizing those key content contributors on this site? They are the difference makers in the strength/health/success of this community. It may even be something as simple as a sub-forum for "Hall of Fame" builds or tutorials? I know I see very specific threads getting linked on FB for just that reason. Food for thought.
That would be cool... also a wall of shame for the haters.

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Well I screwed up my trunk pan patch. When I made it I accidentally bent the lip the wrong way. Instead of makin a new piece I just bent it back the right way. Well this ended up biting me in the a**. When I went to install it I clamped it in with clecos. Went to beat the last area flat so I could put in the last cleco and snap I broke this lip off.
20200204_230843~2.jpg

I still didn't want to remake it 😁 so I just plug welded the strip to the trunk dropoff, ground the plugs down and started installing the mount. Honestly it kinda worked out. Ill be able to cake that seam in epoxy after everything is welded.Im gonna weld the trunk patch in after I epoxy everything. Here it is tacked up in place.
20200205_171747.jpg

I can't paint today but next week we have 2 60 degree days forecasted so I went to the pass wheelhouse to finally finish it. I started by cutting the patch way oversized that way I could mark a pattern on the back. It felt like I didn't wanna cut up the new wheelhouse. I spent a solid 6 hrs on this. My back hurts lol.
20200207_125013.jpg

I marked the back and cut it out to be butt welded. I sanded the edges and drilled plug weld holes. Marked the holes on the trunk lip and sanded them too.
20200207_141219.jpg

Welded in..
20200207_161818.jpg

Ground down..
20200207_164711.jpg

It looks like im getting good penetration. I found 3 tiny holes where I didn't get any weld. Ill fill them in later if necessary.
20200207_161846.jpg

Finally got it done and it kicked my a**.
The car is turning into Frankensteins monster. Im takin my step dad and son to world of wheels this weekend so im probably done working on the car til Monday.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I started on the driver #5 body mount patch. It was to rusty to save.
View attachment 136163
So I f××××× up again and cut the patch to small so I had to cut a 3/8 in strip out of the spare trunk pan and weld it in.
View attachment 136164
I also had to patch the lip the wheelhouse attaches to. I sandblasted inside before coating in epoxy.
20200207_123543.jpg

Then I fit and welded the patch in place. This is the 5th and final body mount I've replaced. Not including the core support and #4 body mount brace under the back seat...
20200212_143942.jpg

I had to sandblast the original trunk lip it was quite pitted but held a weld so I kept it.
20200212_144025.jpg

Ill blast it again before I brush on the epoxy. I also built the front lip out of the leftovers of the pass wheelhouse.
20200212_150817.jpg

20200212_143937.jpg

Getting closer and closer to having a pretty rust free underbody. Im getting the material for the tip over jig this weekend. I thought about not doing it but since I have to replace the back seat body mount/ brace and scrape the back of the cars 1/4 in thick under coat I think it'll be well worth building. I also looked closer at my doors my pass is rust free but my driver is 💩
20200206_143955.jpg

20200206_144449.jpg

I have another driver door but it has some surface rust.
20200206_144229.jpg

20200206_144246.jpg

Im not sure if I should swap doors or fix the og white door(if I even can) The gray door is off 85 ss. Its the same door as 88 ss correct? I sold the engine/trans- distributor/carb for 750$ Hood 200$ headers 50$. So I made enough to pay for the floors. I have enough parts to help fund the build but Ill be honest Im scared to sell anything until its done.

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor