S 10 Caliper flexible line

Status
Not open for further replies.

83grocerygetter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2013
Question to all that have done the dual piston S 10 Ft. caliper swap. Which flexible line did you use. I installed mine with new S 10 lines and today it came loose, I'm positive it was tight because I was getting some weeping while bleeding and went over it. Seems that turning right or left the line binds and acts like a wrench and loosens the bolt. Someone was watching over me, it failed as I backed off my driveway!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I used the Russell braided stainless lines for the G-body application. I torqued the bolts to specification. It was nerve wracking since I think the spec was something like 40 ft. lbs.

Reactions: 1 user

83grocerygetter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks, I think the S 10 lines are too long, creating the problem. We thought that matching the banjo fitting to the caliper was the best choice. I probably put 50 or 60 miles on the car before it happened.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Steve,
The S10 brake hoses are the same length as the G-body hoses, only that the S10 hoses require an adapter fitting. The G-body hoses are a direct fit.
I'm also using the Russell braided steel hoses as my friend Jared recommends. No problems.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Vince,
I didn't realize it was you....hahaha. I thought you were someone else..:)

Jared,
I didn't tighten my banjo bolts that much. I'm a little squeamish about that.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hey Vince,
I didn't realize it was you....hahaha. I thought you were someone else..:)

Jared,
I didn't tighten my banjo bolts that much. I'm a little squeamish about that.
Like I said Jack, it was nerve wracking. I bought some 'premium' calipers by Cardone that are coated and came with nice hardware. The crush washers seemed to be aluminum. The Russell G-Body lines didn't 'bottom out' on the Blazer caliper casting so dad had to help me hold the end of the hose in the desired 'clocked' position while I torqued the banjo bolt. I thought the aluminum threads in the caliper would strip for sure and so did dad but they didn't. They ate torqued to spec.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Like I said Jack, it was nerve wracking. I bought some 'premium' calipers by Cardone that are coated and came with nice hardware. The crush washers seemed to be aluminum. The Russell G-Body lines didn't 'bottom out' on the Blazer caliper casting so dad had to help me hold the end of the hose in the desired 'clocked' position while I torqued the banjo bolt. I thought the aluminum threads in the caliper would strip for sure and so did dad but they didn't. They ate torqued to spec.
Jared,
I actually had the right side brake line off today to remove the hose retaining bracket. I found that the tire would rub against it at full lock. I removed the bracket, stuck it in the vise and bent it back to allow more clearance. I still didn't torque the banjo bolt...call me chicken.
I guess it would help having someone hold the brake line in the desired position so it could be torqued properly.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared,
I actually had the right side brake line off today to remove the hose retaining bracket. I found that the tire would rub against it at full lock. I removed the bracket, stuck it in the vise and bent it back to allow more clearance. I still didn't torque the banjo bolt...call me chicken.
I guess it would help having someone hold the brake line in the desired position so it could be torqued properly.
Jack, I don't think I could have done it without help. Still, 40 ft.lbs. felt impossibly tight. It was also scary because those aluminum washers were crushing.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, I don't think I could have done it without help. Still, 40 ft.lbs. felt impossibly tight. It was also scary because those aluminum washers were crushing.
Jared,
40 ft. lbs just seems like a lot to me. Even intake bolts aren't torqued that high...but if that's what they call for, then that's what it is. It is scary no doubt.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Jared,
40 ft. lbs just seems like a lot to me. Even intake bolts aren't torqued that high...but if that's what they call for, then that's what it is. It is scary no doubt.
Jack, agreed. Dad was urging me to stop. Here is a screenshot from the Alldata site...
Screenshot_20170814-224745.png

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor