s-10 posi rear end swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Looking for info i rear somewhere before about a swaping the internals from a s-10 into the g-body housing. Im not sure if i read it on here or not but i read a thread saying that a s-10 axles and posi unit will swap into the g-body housing. Thinking that will be the the way to go.wanting disk brakes and posi in my car so this will work better for me than swaping the 8.5 i have in from a 1971 cutlass and rebuilding it. Has anyone done this ? Thanks guys.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Axles no, limited slip yes. As long as it's pre-'89(?) and has 26 splines. Later S-10s used 28 spline axles. Also be aware that S-10s used the Eaton Gov-Loc carrier. It's not the same as the Auburn clutch style limited slip used in Camaros, etc. For my car I used a combination of 3.42 gears from an S-10 with an Auburn limited slip from a Camaro. Works fine but has a bit of a howl at certain speeds. That's to be expected with mis-matched, used parts.

racing8up

Greasemonkey
Feb 2, 2010
just got done doin the swap if you take every thing out out of the s10 rear and keep shims in the right place were they came out of and also change pinion races from s10 into your rear end there is little to no other work that has to be done !!it is a easy swap i have done many of them !!! but you need to install a new crush sleeve for proper bearing pre load or you will get a little noise out of it !! its a easy job if you watch what your doin ! just rember take every thing out of the s10 rear and put it in your housing just like it came out !!1 8) the axels wont work they are two short and the s10 has to be pre 89

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Thanks for the information guys. I was under the impression the the axels would work to but good to know before i got everything tore down. Is there any posi rear end i can gut and put into my 7.5 ? ,like a camaro, to get the higher spline count axels and posi unit.???

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
'89ish-up Camaros/Firebirds and S-10s/Blazers have 28 spline carriers. You'll need aftermarket axles.

crotchss

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Apr 14, 2010
Kearney, Nebraska
The S-10 axles are like 2" too short and the Camaro's are too long I believe.

cutty651

Greasemonkey
Aug 14, 2011
Minnesota
this is what i thinking about gettin called the guy and he said this is is not eaton gov loc its a eaton aftermarket style yukon and its what u want he says anyways heres whole package deal gear pinion and posi heres the ebay link http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-10-Bolt-7-5- ... 8840869%26 any one else went with this kit let me know how it went thanks and hope it helps

ham1974

Greasemonkey
Oct 6, 2012
That is pretty high on the rear end parts. If i were you I would find a torsen posi from a newer camaro and get new axles for a 28 spline. I believe you can get moser axles for around $260. There are probably cheaper axles out there and you can usually find a torsen posi for $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor