Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
:popcorn:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
I bolted a set of blazer rear disc brakes directly on to my 8.5 rear end. All I did was rebend the hard lines and transfer the tabs that hold on the hose to the axle tube.
you can pull the fronts AND the rears from a 98-2005 S10 Blazer 4x4 4-door. hell, you can pull the whole front spindle and bolt it in (on a 5th gen El Camino). on the rears, you will have to cut the top of the wheel cylinder mounting tab off, drill 2 holes, then bolt the rear disc on. plenty of videos on Youtube showing that.
details guys, we need details. and pics. are you using the 4x4 or 2wd brackets on the axle? which rotors, 4x4 or 2wd? have you hooked up the parking brake cables? all help is appreciated.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Here's a video that had been done by Skip (LS Customs?) who had been a member here several years back.
He's very thorough and detailed. He actually did these videos in a series.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Here's a video that had been done by Skip (LS Customs?) who had been a member here several years back.
Here's very thorough and detailed. He actually did these videos in a series.
So here is something I don't quite understand. The "LS brakes" come from new body style Camaros. I have never seen a new Camaro in the junk yard. S10 Blazers are stacked in the junkyard like cord wood and you can get nearly-new parts from them for cheap. So what makes the "LS brakes" worth any extra money or effort for the same brakes you could get from an s10 blazer? What are the differences? I am honestly asking.

Sorry for the thread jack but I figure it pertains.

Also, if you watch the video I posted above, the 4wd s10 brake disc "hat" is deeper than the 2wd. This makes it sit further in on the axle making it impossible to bolt the caliper in the location of the drum brake backing plate. Also, if you move the caliper inboard on the axle it'll interfere with the frame when the spring compresses. I have about 1" clearance between my frame and caliper. The 2wd blazer s10 discs are the only choice then. I also have the ford 8.8 which is 1.75" wider than the gm axle. So on a body axle the caliper would have to be clocked to under the axle. To do that use a 4wd caliper bracket and swap them sides to put the caliper on the lower front of the axle.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
So on a body axle the caliper would have to be clocked to under the axle. To do that use a 4wd caliper bracket and swap them sides to put the caliper on the lower front of the axle.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't the caliper get crushed between the axle and frame if mounted in the front?

Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
Please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't the caliper get crushed between the axle and frame if mounted in the front?

Possibly, but that relies on a few things. Mine are mounted on the top rear of the axle and only have about 1" of clearance. On the front, The clearance would be nearly the same. In fact, the frame is nearly the same distance from the axle on the upper 180 degrees. By that I mean, if you draw a horizon line through your wheel hub facing down the tube of the axle and imagine "0" is perpendicular with the horizon line, anywhere you mount the caliper to the top of the axle tube, from 271 to 089 degrees, it has the same chances of frame interference. This can be mitigated by either moving the caliper outboard of the frame (the Foxbody 8.8 axle is 1.75 inches wider than the stock gm 7.5 axle) or to the underside of the axle, the lower 180 degrees. Since the shock mount would interfere with the caliper on the lower rear of the stock or any substitute axle, the only option is to move it to the lower forward area of the axle from 180 to 270 degrees, where the emergency brake cable exits on the stock axle. This would avoid any interference with the frame or axle. It does make it vulnerable to road debris but that is the only danger I can see. If your wheels are wide enough this is also minimal. For the emergency brake cable, if you use the 4wd caliper brackets/backing plates and swap their sides the cable can enter the stock direction but on top of the axle with no danger of frame interference.

I hope this is as clear as mud.

Reactions: 1 users

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Mounting the caliper in front and below the axle would make sense. That's how it's mounted on the 2017+ Camaro.

Reactions: 1 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I cant find any 2wd rear disc blazers at the local junk yards. Im buying all new calipers, rotors, caliper brackets and pads. Does anyone know if the 4x4 backing plates will work on the rear with 2wd calipers, brackets, rotors and pads? plenty of 4x4 blazers in my yard and pretty much all i need is the backing plate that bolts to my 8.5" rear end since im going to buy everything else new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor