S10 master cyl replacement - US version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parabolic

n00b
May 8, 2022
Hey guys, new to the group.
I have an 86 Elco, and it needs a new master. I really prefer the newer twist cap reservoir as I have an adapter for my brake bleeder that fits it.
Ive read a lot of threads about using a 2000 S10 master, but THE MASTER CYL is the RHD version - which is almost unobtainium now.
Can someone explain to me why the US version wont work if the lines are bent to the other side?? Is there a different bore or thread or some other issue?
It seems like there's plenty of line to do this, as well as plenty of room for the lines to come out toward the engine.
Just curious why it hasn't been done before.
Thanks!

Last edited:

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
you mention 86 Elco and RHD. so apparently you are in a RHD country with a LHD US-made Elkie? is it staying LHD or do you have to convert it to RHD?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There was a MC meme going around 1-2 years ago that the RHD version matched the A/G body fitting size and placement. It would be interesting to trace this to the original hacker who figured this out. Now the USPS is in big trouble as Forum members cornered the market on RHD MCs...

Parabolic

n00b
May 8, 2022
you mention 86 Elco and RHD. so apparently you are in a RHD country with a LHD US-made Elkie? is it staying LHD or do you have to convert it to RHD?
Sorry, please let me clarify.
No, Im in USA, and the Elky IS normal LHD for this country.
There are threads on putting the RHD S10 master cyl on the Gbodys. However, they are getting hard to come by and I was wondering if anyone has used the LHD (US varient) and just moved the lines to the other side.
Hope that clears it up for you.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Would work fine. Just have to move the lines. I bought and used the postal jeep for my car before they were hard to get.

16520359412798238004955217742323.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
BTW, here's the Raybestos part #MC390572

Screenshot_20211224-080213_Chrome.jpg

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm currently using the RHD S-10 Blazer master cylinder. As far as I could tell, the LHD and RHD units are basically the same, only for the outlets being reversed.
I thank Mr. Turna for his recommendation.

Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I went and looked up this part #. it turns out that it is the same brake upgrade that you pull from a 99-05 Blazer in the junkyard. pull the whole front spindle, pull the rear discs if you want them, pull the master cylinder

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
I'm currently using the RHD S-10 Blazer master cylinder. As far as I could tell, the LHD and RHD units are basically the same, only for the outlets being reversed.
I thank Mr. Turna for his recommendation.

...and the outlet size for the line fitting going to the rear brakes is 1/2-20 instead of 9/16-18. The line fitting going to the front brakes is the same 1/2-20.

SUMMARY

Normal, left hand drive S-10: Both outlets on the engine side and both outlet sizes are 1/2-20 inverted flare.

Right hand drive S-10: Both outlets are the driver fender side and are the standard 1/2-20 IF fitting for the front brakes and the standard GM 9/18-18 IF fitting for the rear brakes. So no modifications to your brake lines or brake line fittings. Direct bolt on.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor