Sagging corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have 4 new springs and front shocks with rear shocks is excelent shape..the drivers side rear is sagging around 3/4". Last nite I switched the rear coils, no change...then I removed the sway bar and then removed the rear shocks...the corner is still down...the only thing I can think of is the top plate for the rear coil and upper shock mount was not installed at the right position..I plan to shim the plate so the car will sit level. Has anyone seen this problem before?

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
My regal is doing the same thing. On mine, it's because the body mount right behind the rear wheel needs to be replaced, part of the long long list of repairs my regal needs :( The long list of the repairs is mostly why I have to sell it (the other reason is I am moving across country)

worth a look

Ryan

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thought of the body mounts but checked them and the mounts are all there and in good shape...I measure the frame off the floor and its the down on the right rear. The shock at extention is the same length on each side so the distance from the axle to the top plate is virtually identical on each side then the only problem I can see is the plate on the diver's side is sitting too high allowing the axle on that side to go higher then on the passenger side....

thanks for the suggestion..

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Maybe a silly question, but is the passenger side front higher than the drivers side front?

Also, if you're measuring this in your garage you have to remember that the floor is not level. They pour the floor so that water can run out or to a common point. To verify this put your car in the garage the opposite way (nose in to nose out) and measure again.

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
the garage floor is sloped towards the door but it is still level, just on an angle.
check to see if the rubber spacer is still on the spring, if not that could be why it is sagging. another possibility is that the frame is bent or the control arm mounts are bent. your axle tube could be bent, also check to make sure that the body where the mounts are, isn't rotted.

just a few other things to check out and eliminate. :D

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Maybe a silly question, but is the passenger side front higher than the drivers side front?

that's not a silly question ...the right side in the front is a bit higher and I 'm glad it is cause if it wasn't that means the frame is twisted...but it is only a bit higher an d nit enough to make the back corner drop like it is...when I mesured the top of the wheel opening on each side of the front there was only 1/4" difference....when I have my car up on the lift you can see the diver's side of the axle a little higher than the other side which I know isn't an accuate way of measuring but the shocks are fully extended to their stops....and for the garage floor I measured with a tape the height of the frame on each corner and no matter on what surface I park the car the corner is still sagging...

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
hav'nt seen very many g bodies that dont sit like that. I figured it was a factory quirk. Mine sits like that too. drivers side rear sits 1/4-1/2" lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor