Sagging passenger side? Frame rail or Suspension problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanev1984OldsCS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2010
I have a problem with my 1984 Olds Cutlass Supreme, my entire passenger side is sagging by about 1-1 1/2 inches lower than my drivers side, what could be problem or problems? My frame on the RR side has begun to rot. Please advise!

Schober Motorsports

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 15, 2010
I actually had the same problem with my car, just not as much of a sag and it was on the drivers side. I thought that it could be a bend frame or something like that, but I actually found out that it was the rear shock absorbers. One was extremely weak and loose, and the other one was working just fine. So I just replaced them and that solved that problem. I don't know if this could be in since your getting such a radical sag, but one can always try!

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Get out a tape measure, park on a level surface and go to town.

Things to check:
Frame (I use #2 and #4 bushing holes) to ground
Body (I use wheelwell arches) to ground

After that you will know wether it is body or frame and we can go from there.

Tanev1984OldsCS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2010
So, I've taken some measurements.

Wheelwell to ground:

FR 27 3/8 FL 26 3/8
RR 28 RL 26 1/2

Frame rail (I've taken these from the 2 holes that are visible, one is to the left of the tire, and the other is to the right of the tire, if you're looking at straight on)

FR 12 1/2 FL 12 1/2
RR 17 1/4 RR 17 1/4

So, I can assume it's a suspension problem?

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
If I am reading these right, it's the body bushings that are the issue.

If the frame is even to the ground (relative) which it looks like by your numbers, but the body is not.

Seems the problem is "above" the frame.

Could the body bushings be collapsed on that side? Easy to repair with new bushing.

If the rust is bad enough, maybe the bushings pushed threw the top of the frame? Not easy to repair without pulling the body and welding.

Crawl around with a flaslight and check the body bushings.

FYI: I am working on mine right now and the replacement bushings are 1 3/8" thick. How much is your car leaning? :mrgreen:

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
Have somebody sit in the car and then take measurements up to 250 Pounds..

Tanev1984OldsCS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for the help guys! I'm trying to add photos of where the frame has rusted out, as well, photos of the sag difference between both side, and what the car looks like from the rear. It looks like where the body bushing sits, is the part of the frame where it is rusted out. Also, I well measure the car with me in it, I'm 270 lbs. If it is the bushings, would it be wise for me to fix the frame rails first, right? Once I can gain access to uploading photos, I will do so. Thanks again.

am4blue

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2009
Garden City, Mi
If the frame seats are gone, replacing the bushings would do nothing or worse yet, make the difference from driver's side to passenger's side worse than it is now (by lifting the driver's side and doing nothing to the pass side.) You probably should lift the body and visually inspect it.

Can you measure from the bolt heads to the ground in a few places? Also, can you measure from the bolt head face down to the bottom of the frame? Bottom bushing to the bottom of the frame? By comparing these, you can kind of get an idea where you stand. But either way, whether or not you have to fix the frame, you still need to lift the body. Just be prepared to deal with either and be happy if it's just bushings :)

D

Tanev1984OldsCS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 26, 2010
To all those that have helped me along the way, I must apologize for what I'm about to say. I messed up on my measurements, I put the wrong measurement with the wrong sides. The is sagging on the right, passenger side and this morning, I confused myself with my measurements. I'm very novice in the knowledge of my car that has been passed down to by my father and I'm very eager to fix this problem. We've had this car since 1984, and it's very hard to find knowledgeable mechanics in Toronto, and this forum is great because it is a gate way to people who have the same passion as I do for our cars. So here are the corrects measurements.

Wheelwell:

Left Front: 27 3/8 Right Front: 26 3/8
Left Rear: 28 Right Front: 26 1/2

Frame rail:

Measurements are the same on both side, 12 1/2 and 17 /1/4

Thanks,

Tanev1984OldsCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor