Saginaw 4-speed torque ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
I am putting a saginaw 4-speed behind a mild 350 (300 Hp) in an 80 el camino. Does anyone know how much torque these guys can take?? I do not intent to dump the clutch on it or race it. I have 2 sag's one with no rings (2.85:1 first gear) and one with 3 rings (3.50:1 first gear) I am using 3.23:1 rear gears too.

Thanks.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I've been told they'll take quite a bit, that your rear will give out long before the trans does. I asked the same question about mine :D (w/ the 7.5 posi) YMMV of course. I don't think it's any M-22 or anything but it'll take quite a bit to break it.

Just as an aside, ever have one of them slip out of gear? I had it 1/2 way into 2nd once (oops! :oops: ) and it popped out, *BANG* in the middle of an intersection, thought it blew up for sure. Had that 1 second of "oh sh*t!!! x5" before I put it back in and kept going... :D

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
I never had any slip out of gear. I use Hurst shifters. The factory ones get sloppy after a while and dont shift into gear solidly. (My opinion) I just rebuild both transmission's but dont know which one to use. One is a 3 groove, one is a no groove.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Thought they came w/ Hurst shifter assy's (this one did!) And now that you mention it, that was before I sent it off to Hurst to get it rebuilt :D

80ECLT

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 19, 2006
Wisconsin
Some did, I think f-bodys came with hurst. But it was a factory style hurst shifter. The one I use is a competition shifter with bushed jounts and shift through stoppers. Either way, a sloppy shifter will miss a gear from time to time. Bad news for us sag owners!! :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor