Saginaw power steering box fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Anybody have a part number for the M16 return side saginaw power steering pump fitting? Really looking for a 90 elbow and would prefer to not go from saginaw O-ring to JIC/AN adapter, trying to go directly from the box to the line. I plan to bring the lines to a local hydraulic shop and have them crimped.

I have the stock 2500hd power steering hoses on my 2+2 and am looking to swap them to something that tucks down better.

I already have the M18 high pressure side designed. I just need a pair of 350240 fittings, one in the back of the pump and one in the box.
1605123380362.png

The thing I can't find is a 90 degree elbow that goes into the box for the M16 return side. I know they exist (this thread has them) I just can't find the darn part number. The OP just bough them from a shop and looking at the image they are the same as the Gates part #, so I am 99% sure gates makes both.
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/custom-power-steering-lines.79187/
1605123560346.png

I need an M16 elbow that will allow me to take the big loop out and lay it down instead of up.
1605123093050.png

This is what I want to do but can't find the dang part number.
1605123717619.png

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
OK maybe I answered my own question?

View attachment 161715

Edelman 39106 for the M16 return
Gates 350240 for M18 feed
View attachment 161716

The photo you used is my 81 Malibu. I had a shop crimp the lines that you see there.
When it came time to do my 83 wagon I needed the o ring fittings. The crate motor I bought had the serpentine setup and the power steering pump has metric o ring fittings like you have. I bought a Monte SS box set up for the same fittings.
Now the issues. I couldnt find a 90 degree fitting that could be crimped like the ones on the 81. I used the same fittings that you have shown. The hose shop brazed fittings on the tubes on both lines. Then after I mocked up the hoses I took it a back to them and they crimped everything.
The return line just goes up with a straight crimped fitting and back down to the steering pump line. The GM pump has the line pointing almost straight up unlike the pump on the 81. The pressure line follows the same path as the line on the 81.
Hope all this helps.
BTW, the brazing turns the color of the fittings that you show to a funky tarnished color. I taped the hose off and sprayed all of them with Eastwoods silver cad aerosol paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 237
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
The photo you used is my 81 Malibu. I had a shop crimp the lines that you see there.
When it came time to do my 83 wagon I needed the o ring fittings. The crate motor I bought had the serpentine setup and the power steering pump has metric o ring fittings like you have. I bought a Monte SS box set up for the same fittings.
Now the issues. I couldnt find a 90 degree fitting that could be crimped like the ones on the 81. I used the same fittings that you have shown. The hose shop brazed fittings on the tubes on both lines. Then after I mocked up the hoses I took it a back to them and they crimped everything.
The return line just goes up with a straight crimped fitting and back down to the steering pump line. The GM pump has the line pointing almost straight up unlike the pump on the 81. The pressure line follows the same path as the line on the 81.
Hope all this helps.
BTW, the brazing turns the color of the fittings that you show to a funky tarnished color. I taped the hose off and sprayed all of them with Eastwoods silver cad aerosol paint.

Awesome, that's what I need to know, probably could have PM'ed you. Your setup is really clean and I like it. Thanks!

Parker has low pressure nylon braid 2200psi rated hydro hose that I've used on trans coolers and power steering in the past and Dad also has a crimper and sleeves to crimp that hose into barb fittings but I'm not sure if it's strong enough for the high pressure side. I can do what you did worst case.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Curious if you figured this out, and what direction you went. I would assume that the Parker hose was sufficient, since the Saginaw pump is generally rated @1100-1200 psi. Can you update us?

I have a Saginaw ( Metric '88 Camaro ) pump, and '87 Monte SS 800 series box, and I would like to custom make my hoses. I'm thinking I need a M16x1.5 o-ring to -6an & M18x1.5 o-ring to -6an for the box, and then another M16x1.5 o-ring to -6an for the pressure side of the pump. Black -6an fittings & black nylon braided hose would be ideal.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I used the Edelmann 90 on the low pressure side on my Regal when I added my Borgeson steering box.

IMG_20200720_132819802 (1).jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor