MALIBU Saginaw transmission fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 12, 2018
What fluid do I change my transmission with?
I’ve looked on the net for the fluid but all the TH350s say drop the pan, I got no pan cuz it’s a manual.
It more then likely a dumb question but I’m changing the rear seal and figured I should change the oil during the process.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Or a synthetic equivalent. May shift easier when cold

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Either the Muncie or the Saginaw 4-speed can be drained by removing the lower tailhousing to case bolt....BUT, I don't remember which trans it is as it's been quite a while since I owned a 4 speed car. Free to try, though and nothing lost if it doesn't work.

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
It's the lowest one, right under the shifter on the left. Just remember to add some Permatex to that bolt when you put it back. Another trick is to add some GM posi-traction rear gear additive. It used to be referred to as "Whale Oil" but is synthetic now. Supposedly it has the property of clinging to hot metal instead of being repelled. I add it to all my manual transmissions. Seems to work.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
75/90 gear oil is fine. Don’t go for the 140 you don’t need it. My friend did that thinking it was better, you could hear the engine slow down when he let the clutch out when it was cold it was like tar in there.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Just pull the driveshaft yoke out and jack up the front. It’ll drain. Ask me how I know lol. But yeah any 75/80-90w will do. Fill it till it’s full. If it leaks that’s how you know it’s working.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
It's the lowest one, right under the shifter on the left. Just remember to add some Permatex to that bolt when you put it back. Another trick is to add some GM posi-traction rear gear additive. It used to be referred to as "Whale Oil" but is synthetic now. Supposedly it has the property of clinging to hot metal instead of being repelled. I add it to all my manual transmissions. Seems to work.

I used that additive many times when limited slip rear ends chattered on corners due to the clutches sticking/worn out? but never used it in a trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor