Samller A/C Heater Box?? swap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
There's been a lot of discsussion about removing the A/C and Heater boxes for more room under the hood. Some say keep, others say remove. But my my question, is there a way to "relocate" or go with a smaller A/C unit for the g-body (say, from a Chevette or J-Body)?

I've also seen JC Whitney had some generic aftermarket units.

(see here: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Brow ... 89/c-10101)

Has anyone had any experience with these?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Vintage Air sells very small A/C-only and combined heat-defrost-A/C units that will fit completely up behind the dash pad. Nothing on the firewall and nothing hanging down under the dash either. These were originally designed for street rods and are thus very compact, but many muscle car builders are using them to clean up the firewall. You can connect them to the existing dash outlets if you want.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
Thanx for the advice. I checked thire website and they have all kind of options to install. Have you or anyone else have any pics of the install? I figure that a 20+ year old A/C system will need a compressor, condensor, accumulator, etc etc for it to work with a R-134a system. I'm doing a V6 to V8 swap and everything is out right now. I like to look into several options before I spend $$$ to simply replace old parts.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
They are doing a rather interesting swap on that 2+2. I checked out some of their other projects and they seem to love those Vintage Air units. Considering all the parts I would need to buy to get the old system to work (which, BTW was designed aroung R12), I probably won't have much more into buying a complete brand new system designed for R134a.

The only thing is I would try to see if I could keep the firewall "flat" instead of bumping out the block off plate. I would sacrifce the glove box, since I will probably build a console from scratch using plywood or partical board

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA

Tony_SS

Royal Smart Person
Oct 14, 2006
Missouri
Check out the units they sell at Summit. I think one is small enough to place on the inside of the a/c delete panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor