Sand blast or wire brush a rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
UPDATE: I bought a gallon of the Evapo-Rust gell from NPD. But when I opened it, it was like rubbery scrambled eggs. It would not even stick to metal. So I called the manufacturer, Harris International, and the guy explained that it had a roughly six-month shelf life. He said he thought this may have sat on the shelf too long at NPD. He said to take pictures and send him my address so he could replace it. We shall see.............................................................. IMG_0105.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
We-ell that would be one way to get rid of klingons and will-nots but getting a case of itchymictosis as a result just isn't worth the cost.

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
UPDATE: After I contacted Harris International, the parent company of Evapo-Rust, they sent out a replacement gallon straight away. It was a gell like it should be and looks perfect. I asked about the best way to get more since NPD was obviously unaware they had expired product on hand. I mentioned ZORO as they stated up front they were a third party seller and the stuff would be shipped directly from Harris. That would ensure a fresh batch. They agreed that would be fine as they drop ship for them all the time. However I have only one experience with ZORO and it went well, but they have probably the worst feedback history of all time. The other was AMAZON and I have no faith in AMAZON as they put a notice under the item that it will "usually ship in 1 to 2 months"". Yikes! ZORO said 1 to 2 days. In other news I put some scrap pieces of brass, aluminum and steel in some Evapo-Rust and they came out very nice. The brass especially looked brand new. I will be using it on the rear end as soon as it warms up a bit.

Reactions: 4 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Update: I contacted NPD to explain what happened and that they may have more expired product on their shelves. Crickets.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Soooo today I got an email from NPD asking for a review about my recent transaction. Of course I gave them the lowest possible rating and explained why. Now I just got a response about that. It's funny because I had sent the exact same thing to their customer service a while ago and got nothing back. Here is the email:
Hello Mark,

We apologize for the expired jug. We have since audited all of our inventory at all four stores, and everything is up-to current now. There were just a handful of “outliers” that had not been cycled properly. All inventory is fresh now, and of course, any issues both we (NPD) and Harris stand behind.

Thank you,

Rick

NPD

Hotboyrn84

Apprentice
May 1, 2012
The rear for my wagon had a decent amount of surface rust and a leaking pinion seal. I blasted it while it was together since I was putting new drums and backing plates on it. Threw in new bearings and seals and painted it all together. Im happy with the results but Ive always been a fan of sandblasting depending on what the piece is.

View attachment 170944
Were there any specific areas u had to watch or plug with paper or a towel when u sandblasted this rear? I’m about to do that and the frame and floor then if time 2 other rears I have but hoping to only rent for the day and not sure what to expect. I imagine u pulled all the bearings or was it easy to get around? I was also wondering if ppl felt pressure washing was required if you were gonna sandblast as well?

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Took mine to a shop that prepares head stones for cemeteries and had it media blasted with zinc oxide.
Of course taped up all the openings to seal things up real good.
They did a great job and only charter me $30.
Wow! Saves me a ton of labour and after paint it’s fantastic ! 👍✅

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Were there any specific areas u had to watch or plug with paper or a towel when u sandblasted this rear? I’m about to do that and the frame and floor then if time 2 other rears I have but hoping to only rent for the day and not sure what to expect. I imagine u pulled all the bearings or was it easy to get around? I was also wondering if ppl felt pressure washing was required if you were gonna sandblast as well?
I didnt worry about plugging anything at the time due to the fact it was coming apart. I also put new backing plates and drums on it so the old ones didnt really need blasting. Used the original cover.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor