Sandblast with sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I know all about silicosis, and how it can kill you. But other than that, is there a reason to not use sand for sandblasting? I have a blast cabinet, with shopvac dust evacuation, and an OSHA respirator. What else?

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
the only other thing i can really see is it can exploded but that is rare since it is vented and skin damage but since you have a blast cabinet that is not a worry.

HOAdrian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 28, 2015
Gainesville, FL
It depends on the sand. If the sand particles are smooth, they are not going to remove paint or rust very well. Angular abrasive particles with sharp edge are much more aggressive so they remove material faster. They can also produce an anchor profile that will improve paint adhesion. Soda blasting will remove paint, but not rust and will not change the surface profile.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Thanks for the replies. I will be removing rust from small parts, mostly steel, with lots of crevices that I can't get to with a wire wheel and I don't want to use chemicals. I tested sand long ago and while it cleaned parts great, the dust was insane. That's why I snagged a HF cabinet during a Christmas sale and I wanted to use plain sand on the really grungy stuff.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Play sand does not work well unless you screen it at least once, since the grain size varies a lot, and there's typically a lot of junk in it. I have a respirator, and I just use it on the driveway on a tarp - I sweep up and re-screen the sand and get about four uses out of a load before it just turns into powder.

Agree with the other observations, that if I was doing sheetmetal, I'd get glass bead or walnut shells. Check with Eastwoods for the good stuff, or Harbor Fright for the less good stuff.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No sheetmetal, yet, just dirty parts. I probably will experiment with various medias when I get more into it, but for now I just have to clean some horrible looking stuff.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Aluminum oxide is the aggressive stuff. Harbor Fright, on sale this week, $32 for 25# or $45 for 50#.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'll probably get some of that. Down the line I have some paint removing to do too. So besides the dust, sand is OK for rust removal, yes? I want to be able to just toss it when it gets dirty.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I use something call "Black Beauty" it does not break down like sand and even though it is somewhat aggressive it creates very little dust.
I have been using this in my blast cabinet for 12+ years, I started using it initially to blast old aluminum intakes because of the sharp corners it gives it a sparkly look compared to the dull finish sand creates.
I buy it locally from a cement company for around $10 for a 30 lb. bag.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor