Sanding mysterious paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWagoon

Apprentice
Jun 6, 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Hello, All.
When I bought my Malibu, I noticed the bottom paint job was off looking ( thought nothing of it). Anyway, So I've been thinking of sanding it all done with a Hand Sander if that's possible? As I'm almost 100% certain whoever did the job did it to cover surface rust. One side of the wagon seems to be at least a penny thick and then the other paper. What I'm asking here is what is the substance that surround my poor car and can I hand sand it down, or is there another way around it?
Thick (2).jpg Thin (1).jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
That's filler....AKA Bondo, mud, "bodyman in a can" and many other names

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Quickest is to grind it, sanding might be a better choice for a novice. A stiff putty knife will scrape/pry off the really loose stuff.

Be prepared for bad things under it, collision damage, rust/rot, holes, etc. There will definitely be rust, you can see water has been getting in where it has already chipped away.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Be prepared for bad things under it, collision damage, rust/rot, holes, etc. There will definitely be rust, you can see water has been getting in where it has already chipped away.
You might even find a new to you pair of Levis jammed in to a repair patch. :D

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Or "historic" newspapers, or window screen, or steel wool, or chicken wire, or spray foam, or towels!

All real "finds" from years gone by

Gee, I miss living in the rust belt!

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Don't feel too bad, when I got my EC it had so much bondo that you could not even see some of the body lines. Chip off what you can and sand down the rest. Not terribly hard with a random orbital sander but somewhat time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor