Greasemonkey
Feb 26, 2017
Littleton NH
28FD9229-8FE4-44EB-A5C2-76C38062E322.png

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Approach with caution , flat tires and sitting on dirt in a forest .
and those Chrome rust makers.

just a few of my concerns.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DysonSS

Greasemonkey
Feb 26, 2017
Littleton NH
Approach with caution , flat tires and sitting on dirt in a forest .
and those Chrome rust makers.

just a few of my concerns.
Exactly what I was thinking myself. That’s why I’m not bringing my trailer I might not even bring cash with me. If there is any rust I’m walking away. I don’t need two rot boxes in my yard my wife will kill me, I’m having a hard enough time explaining to her why i need to buy another car 😂

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Can't save them all. But those wheels are kinda cool, though.

Reactions: 1 user

Wagonman100

Apprentice
Jun 8, 2018
from the floor it's a sedan
Not a sedan, look at the pic where it shows the rear of the floor. You can see the back of the door and a short distance back is the front of the inner wheelhouse. And it’s not a Camino, no smugglers box. (Edit: just read it was a Monte)

On to the question at hand. I’d say if you can fabricate and weld, it is salvageable, but still a lot of work. A lot of those rotted areas are not included in the reproduction floor pans. Plus you will find a lot more areas as you start cutting that stuff out.

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
My thoughts...Buy the 2nd car, and cut your losses. You will spend more money than that on replacement panels, junkyard trips, and materials trying to fix the 83 SS. IF it's a good donor, you will have your frame, and body issues solved. Now for the $700... offer him $400. The car is not worth any more. If he was going to fix it, he would have done so by now, It has been sitting for a few years to be in the dirt like it is. The mirror holes have let water in all that time. He's not capable of fixing it, and he needs Xmas $$$ . IF he balks on the $400, settle at $500, and spend the extra $200 on the wife!

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
~~~Now for the $700... offer him $400. The car is not worth any more. If he was going to fix it, he would have done so by now, It has been sitting for a few years to be in the dirt like it is. The mirror holes have let water in all that time. He's not capable of fixing it, and he needs Xmas $$$ . IF he balks on the $400, settle at $500, and spend the extra $200 on the wife!

Not saying I disagree, but trying to apply logic to most of these people is like farting into the wind, might make you feel better, but typically annoys those around you.

Reactions: 2 users

DysonSS

Greasemonkey
Feb 26, 2017
Littleton NH
Well a little update, I went to look at that donor 6 cylinder Monte today. Needless to say it was in worse shape than mine the doors, floors and rockers were gone plus The front drivers body mount was also rotted not as bad but not worth paying for. This is the fourth car I have looked at in the last month none of them were in much better shape than mine. I’ve spent quite a few bucks in gas and food plus a day’s worth of time looking at each car. I have decided to just fix what I already have even if it cost more in the long run. I have the tools and the skills to get it done so I’m going to do it. If I take in to account all the time I have wasted driving around I could have fixed one side already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor