SBC 350 dyno shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Haven't watched yet, but I will say the LT1 in my Camaro made 292whp on a Dynojet with a cone air filter, underdrive crank pulley, and manifold back exhaust. Here's a way back in the day motortrend LT1 article on the Dyno starting out stock.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Watched it last night. Very good.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I need to watch it,

But it would have been good to include the new gen 4 LT1 in this.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I need to watch it,

I watched it on my lunch break.

Is that a fair comparison wanting the new LT in there? The newer LT's are light years 'ahead' of the GEN 1 & 2 sbc versions as far as head flow. Put some comparable heads on the early versions & then test.

Reactions: 1 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I need to watch it,

Yes and no, it was a 5.7L video. Better to compare an LS3 to an LT1. I want to see that LT5 vs LS6 video now. I liked seeing the progression, that first gen LT1 probably had a rowdy cam to make what it did and the 2nd gen will fire right up in the dead of winter, pass emissions, and have perfect street manners.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yes and no, it was a 5.7L video. Better to compare an LS3 to an LT1. I want to see that LT5 vs LS6 video now. I liked seeing the progression, that first gen LT1 probably had a rowdy cam to make what it did and the 2nd gen will fire right up in the dead of winter, pass emissions, and have perfect street manners.
This.
Power was 'similar' but different. Real world drivability on the other hand = day vs. night. I know around town we can all survive the solid-lifter cam set-up & it can survive us. But, get out on the highway for a 10hr trip. Which survives there? I like icing on the cake that I eat :LOL:

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
They were probably pretty detuned factory. I think there was a magazine article and these cars went very rich up top to protect the converter, a tune picked up a good amount. Was there any truth to the oil pump pick up falling off being a common issue on the LT1? My BIL had a 95 Z28, it was a quick car, about the same as his 91 Plymouth Laser Turbo 5 spd he traded in. The 4L60E sh*t the bed of course, later on. Hugh, being a mechanic took it in for a tick before the warranty was up. The tech in back let it slip the oil pump pickup fell off, happened on few of them, again supposedly. He was pissed and got them to adjust the valves before it left the shop for nothing. He traded it in not long after the trans crapped out, he got all the important upgrades in the 4L60E, since he beat on it hard.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
They were probably pretty detuned factory. I think there was a magazine article and these cars went very rich up top to protect the converter, a tune picked up a good amount. Was there any truth to the oil pump pick up falling off being a common issue on the LT1? My BIL had a 95 Z28, it was a quick car, about the same as his 91 Plymouth Laser Turbo 5 spd he traded in. The 4L60E sh*t the bed of course, later on. Hugh, being a mechanic took it in for a tick before the warranty was up. The tech in back let it slip the oil pump pickup fell off, happened on few of them, again supposedly. He was pissed and got them to adjust the valves before it left the shop for nothing. He traded it in not long after the trans crapped out, he got all the important upgrades in the 4L60E, since he beat on it hard.

It seems I read about it more on them than the 350. When I took mine apart I was able to twist the pickup out of the pump by hand, but it was a Melling pump. PO had JB welded it on at an upward angle.

IMG_20150405_221807_212.jpg

Retard. I wouldn't have lost the bottom end if he'd done it right. I had it welded back on, did the same for my spare LT1. I can't speak to the tuning as there were 3 versions: early TPI type ECM, OBDI PCM, and OBDII PCM. Mine has the early TPI type MAP computer and ran 13:1 uncorked. Restricted got it down to 12:1.

• Informative

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I haven't watched this yet. But, I am already disappointed that the TPI 350 (Corvette L89), the Gen 2 LT4, the L31 Vortec, and the Gen III LS6 (405hp variant).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor