SBC 350 or 355 engine combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Im looking to rebuild my sbc 350 or make a 355.I dont want to spend much money due to near future plans for an ls motor swap.What i would like to know is can anyone suggest a combo for either or i know alot of people have different combos that work for them.What im looking for, is for the kind of driving i do.I want the engine to be able to be driven long distance and have enough balls for some city driving when i decide to punch the pedal. Im not worried about gas to much i dont drive it alot. Mainly nice days or car shows locally and long distance pretty much i want it to be reliable and have power too.I would like to keep the cost as much as possible under $2000.I forgot to mention i will like to reuse what ever parts i already have on my motor if possible.My heads are stock but been ported and polished,RPM Air Gap,Roller Rockers,holley 650 double pump,headers etc i dont have to use any of it if you guys suggest something else instead.

Blew86442

Greasemonkey
Mar 8, 2012
Your motor in your in your sig seems pretty stout as it is. Why are you wanting to rebuild it?

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
Depends on what you want? stall,cam and intake with a good set of heads well make a world of difference just match it up or you will have all kinds of problems or a turd of a motor lol I learn that the hard way

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Blew86442 said:
Your motor in your in your sig seems pretty stout as it is. Why are you wanting to rebuild it?

The motor is blowing oil out the dip stick on hard acceleration so im having it checked but everyone is thinking 1 or more compression rings are done but its not known for sure yet so im looking at rebuilding it in case the motor is done.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
jjonebadasscutlass said:
Depends on what you want? stall,cam and intake with a good set of heads well make a world of difference just match it up or you will have all kinds of problems or a turd of a motor lol I learn that the hard way

It doesnt matter which one if everyone suggest to go with the 355 better then the stock 350 i got then thats the route i will go im just looking for a combo opinion.Im going to use some of my parts that i have like my rpm air gap intake my roller rockers,headers what ever i can reuse to keep the cost down.

onebadasscutlass

Greasemonkey
Jun 30, 2011
detriot, michigan
If the cylinders are not messed I would keep it stock bore that will save you some money, you can get good set of heads and a nice cam if you have enough money left over from building the bottom end that right there should be hood enough for what you want

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I would just build a stout 350. Iron heads basic forged internals, nothing too fancy. Depending on the shape of the block it might have to go .030" over but dont bore it just to say you have a 355. I would find a nice set of vortec heads to start. Vortecs are about the best flowing stock head out there for the small block and you can get a COMPLETE pair from Patriot through Summit for around $750. I would go this route if I was building a small block.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
I had a similar issue I went the 355 route. I spent 875 on the machine work to bore it out and deck the block as well as head work. Stock 2.02 heads ported and polished with a mild cam, edelbrock performer intake and a edelbrock 750 cfm carb. It works like a champ I burn the tires when I want and it's mild enough that a good cruise is fun not hectic.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
Thanks guys im going to go the 355 way.The machine shop i deal with said he would just deck the block hone it bore it .30 etc and for to me to order new piston and he will use my stock connecting rod and he will also do the work on crank so then i can use all my parts i have on my motor now so the cost he said will be for his work is between $600 to $800 so i figure $800 then ill put the motor back together and hope for the best.

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Jshock said:
I had a similar issue I went the 355 route. I spent 875 on the machine work to bore it out and deck the block as well as head work. Stock 2.02 heads ported and polished with a mild cam, edelbrock performer intake and a edelbrock 750 cfm carb. It works like a champ I burn the tires when I want and it's mild enough that a good cruise is fun not hectic.

Haha, should've said I burn the tire (Singular)...Gotta get a posi..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor