Sbc 355 swap help

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I never checked it at the time but I always assumed it was a 2.73. It was only later on that I found it could have been worse.
Same here as well. The math didn't add up when I put a tach on mine so that's where 2.29 or 2.41's mathematically made sense.

Mike 86 regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2022
Oklahoma
That cam would be decent for a 355 w/flat top pistons & stock heads or dished pistons w/some some decent 64cc heads. If the long block has stock over-sized dished pistons & 76cc stock heads.... It probably sounds decent but would not offer much acceleration factor.

If it were my car, some 3.42 gears & a 2200-2600 stall converter would be a good start.
scoti So you would keep the 200r4 for now?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Keep the 200-4R. Figure out what rear gear the car has in it. That's probably the low hanging fruit right now.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I had that cam in my 355 before I started the rebuild. It wasn't fast by any stretch but it was fun. I had a th350, 3000 stall and limited slip 3.73 gear. I'd keep the 200-4r until u blow it up, if u ever do.
If your car feels like a bogdog downlow and you think it's running correctly, gear and a stall will completely change the way it drives. When you stab the pedal where does it flash to? 1800 rpm? That cammed sbc isn't making alot of steam at that rpm. Every cammed,stock converter car I've been in is underwhelming to say the least. You can feel the disappointment 😞.

• Winner

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
scoti So you would keep the 200r4 for now?
I would run a 200-4r over the 700-r4 any day of the week. I do not like the 1-2 gear drop on the 700-r4. The gearing within the 200-4r is very similar to a TH350 but a little steeper for the 1st gear. Plus the benefit of the taller OD gear (.67 vs. .70) over the 700r .

• Agree

Mike 86 regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2022
Oklahoma
I would run a 200-4r over the 700-r4 any day of the week. I do not like the 1-2 gear drop on the 700-r4. The gearing within the 200-4r is very similar to a TH350 but a little steeper for the 1st gear. Plus the benefit of the taller OD gear (.67 vs. .70) over the 700r .
scoti Thank you, any upgrades to do on the 200-4R?

Mike 86 regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2022
Oklahoma
I had that cam in my 355 before I started the rebuild. It wasn't fast by any stretch but it was fun. I had a th350, 3000 stall and limited slip 3.73 gear. I'd keep the 200-4r until u blow it up, if u ever do.
If your car feels like a bogdog downlow and you think it's running correctly, gear and a stall will completely change the way it drives. When you stab the pedal where does it flash to? 1800 rpm? That cammed sbc isn't making alot of steam at that rpm. Every cammed,stock converter car I've been in is underwhelming to say the least. You can feel the disappointment 😞.
@ rabbitHoleSS yea around there, terrible. Thank you

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
scoti Thank you, any upgrades to do on the 200-4R?
Shift-kit if it doesn't have one.
A trans cooler is usually not a bad addition either. Keeping the temps in check require more effort when increasing the stall speed @ the converter. Stock set-ups get cooled through the radiator. Looping the fluid through the radiator & then through a 2nd stand-alone cooler is better or some just go through a stand alone unit.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Mike 86 regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 17, 2022
Oklahoma
A trans cooler is usually not a bad addition either. Keeping the temps in check require more effort when increasing the stall speed @ the converter. Stock set-ups get cooled through the radiator. Looping the fluid through the radiator & then through a 2nd stand-alone cooler is better or some just go through a stand alone unit

A trans cooler is usually not a bad addition either. Keeping the temps in check require more effort when increasing the stall speed @ the converter. Stock set-ups get cooled through the radiator. Looping the fluid through the radiator & then through a 2nd stand-alone cooler is better or some just go through a stand alone unit.
@ scoti what I'd I want to upgrade the cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor