SBC 400 no steam holes??'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'd say no. With the tight quarters between the bores those steam holes are needed to help with cooling.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't, it is an easy mod using your head gasket as template and drilling at the proper angle or if you are not comfortable doing it a reputable shop could do it, I have always done my own but use aftermarket heads but then I discovered big blocks lol.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I saw the machine shop drill mine. He drilled at an angle. Get it done now and you'll avoid over heating and distorting the inner pairs of cylinder walls.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
The information on why and how to do this has been around for 40+ years. Google.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Another way to think about it...the General does nothing extra unless there is a reward or at least avoidance of punishment. That's also why the T5 was never included behind any 350; it would have been a warranty claim waiting to happen. In the same way, the steam holes were insurance.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Mr Moore & all; Seems like I should add $.02 cents worth. I started Hot Rodding 400 SB's back in 1985. YES you will want steam holes, period. Mr.ssn696 said it well " Another way to think about it...the General does Nothing Extra unless there is a Reward or at least avoidance of PUNISHMENT". Another tid bit is if ya don't not only will it over heat but the heat will end up cracking the decks & or the heads. And if your curious my beloved Bronze Brick is located just a few minutes North of you, so keep your eyes peeled this coming summer, Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• III_406_05 AFR CC.JPG
    III_406_05 AFR CC.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 198
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
When I bought my car, it had a 400 in it. The 400 wanted to run hot. The engine had been put in the car by a total hack. I pulled the heads, and what do you know? No steam holes. There is no way I would put a 400 together without the heads being drilled for steam holes. Also, if you download the instructions for installing aluminum Edelbrock heads on a small block Chevy, those instructions note that if you are putting those heads on a 400, they MUST be drilled for steam holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor