SBC DISTRIBUTOR INSTALLATION???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I have a recently built sbc 406 I installed timing chain as usual crank dot up cam dot down. I ran engine on engine stand fired right up and run put engine back at tdc removed distributor and installed another distributor, tdc xero on balancer and rotor point to number 1 cylider,finally got engine to run with different distributor but has to advance distributor all the way till the vacuum advance hits the intake but it still needs more advance ANY HELP,?THANKS

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You’re off a tooth. Easiest way to confirm this is to move all of the plug wires one hole counterclockwise (from why you’re describing) and reset the base timing.

I’ve never been one to get wound up about how the plug wires land on the distributor - and yes I know there is a factory alignment position for them, but that involves pulling the dizzy and turning the oil pump drive only to find out you moved it to far or not far enough.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
You might, but won't know until you have a timing light on it first. But it should be back to "normal" and only have to move it a little to get back to correct base timing.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Pull distributor and redo once again. Alignment of distributor housing (vacuum advance canister) is not tied to rotor pointing toward #1 cylinder when installed.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
If you really want to do things more thoroughly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor