SBC heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
So with my recent purchase of an olds 455 the sbc parts I collected are taking up space in the garage. I know a guy running a 406 in a 78 regal that got crushed by my friends challenger a few nights ago and he wants to buy the heads I have. The heads are fully ported 292 turbo heads from the 70s. I got the heads through a friend of a friend that ran 10.50s in a 3300 pound nova with a 406. The heads were rebuilt about 2 years and have not been on a motor since. I have seen prices all over the place on these heads. I saw people saying $500 is a good price for rebuildable cores and Ive heard dont spend more than a few hundred for a good set, the prices seem to be all over the place. What do you guys think they are worth?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I still have two sets of these, they are great heads but also very old. Both of mine have had extensive work and upgraded to 2.05 valves and bronze guides. They are only worth what somebody will pay for them and that won't reflect the money put into them. If the work done on them was done buy a well known engine - head guy it can help the price. If you get $500 for them I think you will be doing good. These heads were the fore runner to the bowtie heads

Reactions: 1 user

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
Your buddy let a dodge beat a G body? Comon man!
I was hoping the g body would win but the Challenger has a 518 stroker motor and runs 10.20s it's a badass car. the gbody just switched to fuel injection and was still working out some problems
I still have two sets of these, they are great heads but also very old. Both of mine have had extensive work and upgraded to 2.05 valves and bronze guides. They are only worth what somebody will pay for them and that won't reflect the money put into them. If the work done on them was done buy a well known engine - head guy it can help the price. If you get $500 for them I think you will be doing good. These heads were the fore runner to the bowtie heads
Porting and valve job were done by a reputable shop around here. I just don't see them for sale alot and when they do come up they usually sell pretty quickly

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
See what he has to trade, he may know of some lurking Olds drag boat stuff...

I would start a little higher $600 and come down (on any part I am trying to sell).

The last heads I had work done to at the machine shop, the labor was $400. So, if they are fresh and from a reputable shop, $500 sounds fair.

The problem is that technology has caught up with those heads.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I was hoping the g body would win but the Challenger has a 518 stroker motor and runs 10.20s it's a badass car. the gbody just switched to fuel injection and was still working out some problems

That Regal is going to need over 600 Hp with the right combo. What is the runner volume on your heads.

Last edited:

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I'm not sure what the runners are at now. The regal has a nx wet kit going on soon but his biggest limitation is the 74 truck heads on it. I told him $750 and so I have plenty of room to move.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Just an FYI - you need to know what you have to try to sell them. you would have already lost my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor