SBC into 80 Cutlass motor mount issues - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My son just purchased an 80 Cutlass that we are attempting to put a turbo SBC with TPI 327 into. We purchased a new set of motor moounts for an 80 Monte Carlo and grabbed a set of clam shells off from ebay. The issue is the clam shell bolt holes doesn't line up with motor(frame) mount. Question - are all clam shells the same? The motor mounts appear to be exactly the same as the worn out one we took out. If the clam shells are different, then what year do we need? I assume they must be from a G-Body.

HELP :) and any and all is greatly appreciated - Jim

t01blaze

Master Mechanic
Oct 4, 2011
South New Jersey
Are the mounts upside down on the frame?

My son just purchased an 80 Cutlass that we are attempting to put a turbo SBC with TPI 327 into. We purchased a new set of motor moounts for an 80 Monte Carlo and grabbed a set of clam shells off from ebay. The issue is the clam shell bolt holes doesn't line up with motor(frame) mount. Question - are all clam shells the same? The motor mounts appear to be exactly the same as the worn out one we took out. If the clam shells are different, then what year do we need? I assume they must be from a G-Body.

HELP :) and any and all is greatly appreciated - Jim

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Are the mounts upside down on the frame?

Don't believe so, as I don't believe they will mount if flippled over 180 degrees. The bolts holes on the upper side are wider/farther apart than the lower holes. Also, it doesn't appear that they can be mounted the crossmember higher or farther apart than they are presently. Any pics of how they are suppose to mount? Syoill, seems like the clam shells are out of whack - I'm assuming they are not all the same just looking for confirmation.

Doug Trahan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2014
Don't believe so, as I don't believe they will mount if flippled over 180 degrees. The bolts holes on the upper side are wider/farther apart than the lower holes. Also, it doesn't appear that they can be mounted the crossmember higher or farther apart than they are presently. Any pics of how they are suppose to mount? Syoill, seems like the clam shells are out of whack - I'm assuming they are not all the same just looking for confirmation.
I have installed several SBC engines in the Regal`s which should be the same as the Cutlass. There are several holes drilled in the frames on these. Note: There are only 3 of the four mounting holes used on the brackets that bolt to the frame, the lower front does not get used. This was my experience anyway.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that truck upper clam shells are taller causing the engine to sit up higher. I read or heard this and cannot speak from experience

Our clam shells are deeper than the ones in your pictures. I'm pretty confident that is the issue. The local pick-n-pull has an '84 and '79 Monte Carlo. I guess I'll be grabbing them. Thanks greatly - you solved my dilemma. Unfortunately I won't be able to test fit the header and weld up the crossover until I get the correct clam shells. Thanks again - Jim

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that truck upper clam shells are taller causing the engine to sit up higher. I read or heard this and cannot speak from experience

You are correct, the first motor I did we used truck clamshell mounts and didn't know it. This caused the engine to sit up higher and at a weird angle (which we thought was normal at the time.) It ended up breaking 2 transmisson bell housings in 20,000 miles. After we built another motor and changed the mounts all has been good. Rule of them if the motor is a b*tch to get it, Sometbing is probably wrong. These cars should be super simple to drop an SBC in if all the parts are correct.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You are correct, the first motor I did we used truck clamshell mounts and didn't know it. This caused the engine to sit up higher and at a weird angle (which we thought was normal at the time.) It ended up breaking 2 transmisson bell housings in 20,000 miles. After we built another motor and changed the mounts all has been good. Rule of them if the motor is a b*tch to get it, Sometbing is probably wrong. These cars should be super simple to drop an SBC in if all the parts are correct.

Thanks. It appeared that the motor should drop in easy and when it didn't I figured something was up. Thanks for the input - breaking the transmission would be a moment of sadness.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Here's what I found. I thought I had the incorrect clam shells, but as it turned out I didn't. I had to elongate the mount bolt holes in the frame by 3/8", on both sides of course. I'm sure that the motor sits 1/4"-3/4" higher. Hopefully it doesn't creat a tunnel issue, but if it does I'll expect I'll have to modify a set of clam shells. The motor is level in the car, but I don't know if the frame is tweeked or if this could just be the situation. Hopefully we'll have the transmission test fitted today and the crossmember modified for the 200-4R.

FWIW, I'd like to put a thanks out to UMI Performance, as their website was the only place I could find the correct dimensions of the motor mount and clam shell. I would've bought a set of the their solid mounts if I needed them just for the assistance that their drawing provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor