SBC Oil Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm switching out the BB oil pump when I replace the pan so I have been looking for a pump. I came across Mellings shark tooth pumps that have helical gears and I think I'll be getting the 10552ST. Have any of you used one of those shark tooth pumps?

Reactions: 1 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings; I had to take a look see right away. Very nice pump. I really liked the statement about "IMPROVED DISTRIBUTOR OPERATION - REDUCTION IN SPARK SCATTER". We as a group see & learn new things along the path. For years I fought Too much oil up top, not even knowing it for a # of years. For so many that build SB & BB Chevy's this has been a problem for years. Restrict (lifter gailies-smaller push rod holes++) this or that for a fix (the LS world only wishes) because of too much oil. On the other end of the pump the pick up is another part gets thought. I found this to be an excellent solution for the pick up, look close at the oil bottom plate. Ole' Bob.

Attachments

• III_406_05 Main Caps.JPG
    III_406_05 Main Caps.JPG
    309.4 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Interesting. I haven't tried one but I'm also in the market for a fresh pump on the 408sbc I have getting pieced together. Might give one of the 'ST' series a try.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Rock Auto doesn't have any stock but I'll get notified once the come in and I'll let you guys know

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
I ordered one for my SBC build, part #10055ST-750SS. appears to be very high quality.

unfortunately i have the body off the frame and a sh*t ton of bodywork to do before that engine starts up.

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I never had any issues with the plain old Melling hv pumps. I know people claimed there was a change in the casting a few years ago but I never broke one. Ran Melling hv pumps In all my race big blocks.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I am currently running BB Melling 77 pump. The volume is around 20% volume over a Melling 55 and takes less to spin it compared to a Melling 55HV. The Melling ST standard pump is 10% higher volume compared to a Melling 55. I am going from a 7 quart pan to a stock pan and I do not like or need the high pressure that I get from the BB pump, it hits 80 on a cold startup so I'm thinking the ST pump will be puuuurfect... :popcorn:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor