SBC Retro-fit roller cam in later model roller block

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So I bought a mild Howards SBC retro-fit roller cam and lifters set a couple years ago for my Regal project, the engine that I was going to use that was a non roller 2 piece rear seal block had some issues so I sold it and soon I will be looking for a remanufactured short block but most of what I see are 1 piece rear mains designed for the factory hydraulic roller set up so I am wondering if there will be any issues running a retro-fit cam in a later model roller block, my main concern is will there be clearance issues with the link bars.
Also are there any issues using the earlier style double roller timing chain.

Last edited:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Hmm thats a good question. I have the retro-roller in my motor now and dealt with all the cam button / reinforced cover nonsense. I wonder if the nose on the retro cam clears the cam plate on a roller block ? I guess you could use the cam button and reinforced cover from a gen 1 block worst case.

I think running the factory spider retainer setup with factory lifters would be better than the link bar setup myself

Last edited:

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I’ve got about 40,000-50,000 miles (4-5 years or so) on a Retro fit roller setup from comp. It has link bar lifters and uses a cam button to set end play. We ended up dimpling a stock chrome cover to work with the cam button, and even with that sort of sketchy setup its never given me any issues.

I’ve been more than happy with a retro fit roller and wouldnt hesitate to do it again if I had to.

EDIT: You know it really helps when you read. That is a good question lol.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I’ve got about 40,000-50,000 miles (4-5 years or so) on a Retro fit roller setup from comp. It has link bar lifters and uses a cam button to set end play. We ended up dimpling a stock chrome cover to work with the cam button, and even with that sort of sketchy setup its never given me any issues.
I’ve been more than happy with a retro fit roller and wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had to.

Is this installed in a factory roller block?

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Is this installed in a factory roller block?

Nope. That’s why I put “it helps if you read” (you meaning me), I read too quickly and totally bypassed the whole premise of this post lmao. Sorry to get your hopes up haha.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I've got a factory roller block and a retro roller cam. Let me stab it in with my double roller chain set and let you know if it all lines up as we hope.

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Welp, the cam goes in just fine and my crank and cam sprockets line up. I have a Comp 3100kt timing chain set. The problem is, and it's not really a problem, is that the link bars hit the tops of the lifter bores as they are taller, obviously, than a non roller block. Use factory roller lifters and problem solved.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Not worth the aggravation and machining costs. Timing set and cam noses are different for retrofit roller and OEM roller. It will require machining of the block and/or cam. If you have an OEM roller block, then your retrofit roller and lifters can be sold for at least 75-80% of new value which should be plenty for a set of OEM lifters and OEM roller cam.

BTW, what is the cam?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since I don't have a short block if there are any fitment issues then I will source a 2 piece rear main block and use that, but there is more of a selection and options going with a factory roller block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor