Sbc short oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Supposedly my hooker longtubes require the use of a short oil filter for clearance. When read this, I was thinking *short* in the realm of the “Master Pro” and likes of the filters you get at places like Oreillys when they advertise oil+filter change deals. Those things are like 2” long. Yeah no thanks.

I did a little digging and found a Fram [PH]30 is a short filter and so i cross referenced that to a Wix 51069R. Fast forward a few days and it arrives in the mail. I wouldnt exactly call it short, it seems standard length to me. Which is fine, I know it’ll fit. Anyways the R must denote a racing filter cause the package has RACING all over it. It also says

CAUTION: Not intended for street use

Ok so what makes it not usable on the street? Also could someone recommend a short oil filter. Would like to stay away from Fram and also places like Autozone. But I dont need a $500 oil filter either …

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Have you considered adding a remote filter set up? I have dual remote filters on both my Regal and Monte and have them mounted to the core support.
You would use a PH1 filter or equivalent this also adds capacity to your oil system and makes oil filter changes easy even on a hot engine.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Have you considered adding a remote filter set up? I have dual remote filters on both my Regal and Monte and have them mounted to the core support.
You would use a PH1 filter or equivalent this also adds capacity to your oil system and makes oil filter changes easy even on a hot engine.
Thanks for the response but no not interested in a remote system or dual filters. Just looking for "middle of the road" options

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Racing oil filters provide more flow, have a higher burst pressure, but filter a lot less well. They only last about 500 miles as they are designed for racing only which is why they have racing all over the package. Best to swap it for a street oil filter asap.

Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Racing oil filters provide more flow, have a higher burst pressure, but filter a lot less well. They only last about 500 miles as they are designed for racing only which is why they have racing all over the package. Best to swap it for a street oil filter asap.
Thanks for the answer. Will do. Whats a good "short" filter that is middle of the road?

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Thanks for the answer. Will do. Whats a good "short" filter that is middle of the road?
I've run wix 51069 and 57099.the 99 is under 4"tall and the 69 is just under 5". zero issues with both.

Reactions: 3 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
My go to is still the oem AC Delco PF454. It's short, but works and it clears my long tubes. On occasion I will run a comparable Mobil 1 or Pure 1 or Wix.
I have tried taller filters and they will not clear in anyway leaving choices or remote mount or going back to cast iron manifolds.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
My go to is still the oem AC Delco PF454. It's short, but works and it clears my long tubes. On occasion I will run a comparable Mobil 1 or Pure 1 or Wix.
I have tried taller filters and they will not clear in anyway leaving choices or remote mount or going back to cast iron manifolds.
Well I have a K&N on there now. Dont have the P/N on hand but it's for a 96 LT1 (F body) and clears my Hooker Racingheart longtubes. Maybe I'll just stick with that.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
THe race filter is 61 microns compared to mid 20’s for street filters. I didn’t even use the race filter on my race engines. I used the Moroso filters at 28 microns. And yes the 51069 standard filter is what you want. 51060 and 51061 are the long filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor