sbc swap, first start oil gushing from valve cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
I just swapped a 350 sbc into my 1980 monte carlo. I did the first start and it started for about 3 seconds. I shut it off because I noticed oil gushing(splashed right out made puddle under my car) out of my drivers side valve cover. Is this because of crank pressure? How do I fix this so next time i go to start it the oil doesnt gush out?

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Was it from the back of the engine on the drivers side? If it was plug the hole that the sending unit screw's into. There is also a port right above the filter that goes to the oil gallery.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Yeah, make sure the oil pressure port is plugged or has a fitting in it for a gauge or sensor so oil doesn't gush everywhere. It's near the dizzy on the back of the engine. There is one by the oil filter too, as mentioned above.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Haven't seen it mentioned yet. What type of valve covers and gaskets are you using? Steel, aluminum....cork or rubber for gaskets?
I know with the billet specialties covers i have, they recommend cork gaskets. I wanted to use rubber and before i knew it i had oil catching fire on my header collector!!! I switched to some felpro cork units and never had a leak afterwards.

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
thanks most helpful forum ever!!!!!!!! so i found the hole by oil filter not plugged looks like thats where oil came from.

Reactions: 3 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
might be a good time to install one to protect the engine you just installed

This is a very good idea. Oil pressure and water temp gauges are a cheap investment to help prevent costly damage to your recently installed engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor