sbc wont start has spark and fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryguy39

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
need to know how to get this running, the distributor has been moved and taken out of engine. where do i start? please help.

thanks,bryan

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
give us some background info....type of distributor...engine.....etc etc. How is it acting when you go to start it? Is it trying to fire at all.....all the wiring correct to the distributor and coil. What work have you done on it since the last time it ran?

bryguy39

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
The motor is a sbc 350,Hei distributor it shoots flame balls out of carb. wireing is right, not sure if distributor is in where it needs to be.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
Sounds like dist. is 180 deg. off. You need to make sure it is on tdc on the compression stroke when you install distributor.

bryguy39

Apprentice
Apr 25, 2007
how do i do this? take out #1 spark plug and crank on and off with my finger over the hole intill it pushes it off and stop and thats Top Dead Center?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
bryguy39 said:
how do i do this? take out #1 spark plug and crank on and off with my finger over the hole intill it pushes it off and stop and thats Top Dead Center?

Yes you can do that. It is also a good idea to take off the valve cover and make sure both valves are closed.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
or just mark the #1 wire position with chalk on the intake. then pull the cap and turn the engine till the rotor points AWAY from the mark. pull the distributor and turn it 180* then see what happens and don't forget to set the final timing with a good timing light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor