SBO 307 Water pump pulley

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
Need some help from the g-body fellowship.

Recently sold my 307 SBO out of my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Sold it as a complete engine and got my asking price. Guy i sold it to was really cool. He reached out to me and said he couldn't locate the water pump pulley in the box of stuff i gave him with the engine. For the life of me i cant figure out where it is and the engine isn't "complete" without it imo.

Long story short:

I want to do right by this guy and either find him one, get the part number or online location to get one and then give him the money to get it. Can anyone help me with some direction on this. Also, is the Small Block Chevy water pump pulley a direct replacement? If so that makes it a lot easier. Also car had A/C (don't know if that matters). Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Need some help from the g-body fellowship.

Recently sold my 307 SBO out of my 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. Sold it as a complete engine and got my asking price. Guy i sold it to was really cool. He reached out to me and said he couldn't locate the water pump pulley in the box of stuff i gave him with the engine. For the life of me i cant figure out where it is and the engine isn't "complete" without it imo.

Long story short:

I want to do right by this guy and either find him one, get the part number or online location to get one and then give him the money to get it. Can anyone help me with some direction on this. Also, is the Small Block Chevy water pump pulley a direct replacement? If so that makes it a lot easier. Also car had A/C (don't know if that matters). Thanks everyone!
So just the pulley then? You should be able to get one at at Carquest or another auto parts store. Not sure if there's a difference between them for Chev and Olds either.

The AC shouldn't be a concern, as even if he didn't use it, it would still work according to the photo in this thread.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Olds is complicated, 4 different length water pumps and unique pullies due to the length. Even the Vin Y and Vin 9 have different pulley setups. You will need a Vin Y A/C water pump pulley if he is running the A/C brackets and A/C compressor. One of the G body guru's probably can tell you the number that is stamped n the pulley. I might have the right one but I am in Canada.

Reactions: 3 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Olds is complicated, 4 different length water pumps and unique pullies due to the length. Even the Vin Y and Vin 9 have different pulley setups. You will need a Vin Y A/C water pump pulley if he is running the A/C brackets and A/C compressor. One of the G body guru's probably can tell you the number that is stamped n the pulley. I might have the right one but I am in Canada.
4 different ones?! FFS lmao. Makes me scared to get another Delta 88 :ROFLMAO:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You want the one pictured below. It's a 5.55/6.6" diameter 3 groove pulley. The 5.55" is the back two, the 6.6" is the front one. The front one goes to the alternator ONLY. GM p/n 22505009.

The bottom pulley is a 2 groove deal with an extra in the front for the A.I.R. pump. One belt for the A/C compressor, the other for the SINGLE pulley PS pump.

According to the parts information, all G-body 82-88 307 VIN Y's with A/C, and 82-85 G-body 350N diesels, should have this very set up, as well as 83 and 1st Design 84 VIN 9.

Sometime in January of 1984, they did a slight change to the VIN 9 pulley setup (and the sport wheel horn button got bigger with a silver outer ring, for whatever reason). The 2nd design 84 VIN 9 had dual pulley PS setup which included the alternator and upper/lower pulleys. The water pump pulley also got a 3 pulley deal but all the pulleys were the same size at 6.10" diameter. They kept this for the 85-87 VIN 9 as well. GM p/n 560329.

83-84 VIN Y or 9 pulley.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
You want the one pictured below. It's a 5.55/6.6" diameter 3 groove pulley. The 5.55" is the back two, the 6.6" is the front one. The front one goes to the alternator ONLY. GM p/n 22505009.

The bottom pulley is a 2 groove deal with an extra in the front for the A.I.R. pump. One belt for the A/C compressor, the other for the SINGLE pulley PS pump.

According to the parts information, all G-body 82-88 307 VIN Y's with A/C, and 82-85 G-body 350N diesels, should have this very set up, as well as 83 and 1st Design 84 VIN 9.

Sometime in January of 1984, they did a slight change to the VIN 9 pulley setup (and the sport wheel horn button got bigger with a silver outer ring, for whatever reason). The 2nd design 84 VIN 9 had dual pulley PS setup which included the alternator and upper/lower pulleys. The water pump pulley also got a 3 pulley deal but all the pulleys were the same size at 6.10" diameter. They kept this for the 85-87 VIN 9 as well. GM p/n 560329.

View attachment 171035
Thank you for the info. I appreciate all the help from everyone. I seem to remember the pulleys were all the same size on the water pump. I tried looking for the part number you referenced and it doesnt look like anyone is selling one. Is there anything in the aftermarket that is a replacement? Again thanks for the help everyone.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
How many grooves were on the crank pulley? Your car is A/C correct? I have the pulley above but someone may have swapped on earlier pullies on the car.

fauxfour2

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2020
How many grooves were on the crank pulley? Your car is A/C correct? I have the pulley above but someone may have swapped on earlier pullies on the car.
Yes car is A/C . I have to check how many grooves on the crank pulley. I located one that is the design below (pic from previous post). Can i use that one and just get different size belts and run it with the pulleys on the other accesories ?
1616504639694.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's the belt routing with the G-body 307 VIN Y routing (using pulley above). If the water pump pulley is the same diameter throughout, then it's from a different car/setup.

83-early 84 HO belt routing.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor