SBO 350 accessory belt woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
So I can’t seem to figure out how the heck to get my accessory belts to line up any better I means it runs and drives but is only a matter of time before it eats the belts or throws them I didn’t realize how far off it actually was until I took pictures today.

It’s pretty bad and the worst part is I have no idea which brackets I have etc. that seems the most fun about this project is trying to figure out what was done before with no information

55b64b27201d62ffcca9de2281c2f1dc.jpg

357def468e024570d0b9b6a6de4c4a03.jpg
I’m not sure if you can tell but it looks like the ac compressor is set too far back

b6c9e3944ffe407184aa3a906e82447c.jpg

c6c01ce6de29893dc12a9a137dd9184c.jpg
the alternator seems to be set too far back as well

5879a78e986f7025f00e775a9579e6d9.jpg
and water pump picture in case someone asks about it.

Thanks for any help you can provide I think this may be a weird combo of 350 and 307 brackets but I’m honestly not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
First, there are 4 different length water pumps. You have to match the accessories to the water pump length. Also there are spacers on the A/C compressor and power steering pump that must be in the proper place. I believe the 307 with A/C used the 6" water pump. I have got around this by spacing out accessories with washers or nuts behind the brackets with longer bolts. I actually hate Olds V belt setup, spacers and many different water pump lengths make it a suck fest that leads to broken and thrown belts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok awesome that is exactly what I was looking for before I tried to fix it I wanted to make sure it wasn’t something else before I started spacing things etc.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Apparently it is not a matter of just spacing [emoji58]some how the motor ended up with a kh power steering pump a ks crank pulley and a ke water pump pulley. I also have a kc crank pulley based on my research I need a kk water pump pulley and the correct water pump to make it all work because the ka power steering pump pulley is press on I also don’t know what water pump I have the only marking seems to be ph-353 trying to get this squared away ASAP.

Side note weirdly enough my block is 395558 2 but the stamp below drivers valve cover begins with 33b so from what I understand that means the block is actually a 73 from Baltimore but some how it’s a 2 block not a 5 block? It also came with #5 heads and I was told it was a 1968

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
A lot of people would swap early heads onto a mid 70's Olds 350. They are so choked from the factory most had little wear. With slight milling and thin gaskets with their 14cc dish factory pistons gives 9 to 1. My 76 block, which was in amazing original condition with 62 to 64cc #6 heads and .028" gaskets give me right on 9 to 1.

Reactions: 1 user

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Agree with the above. I fell victim to getting the wrong water pump once for my Delta 88 with a 350. But the real trick was getting a frankenstein bracket assortment to work on the 350 Olds I put in my now gone Beater 77 Grand Prix. That Olds motor came as only a long block and I didn't have any Olds brackets at my disposal. Like was said, it took a lot of trial and error with several different Olds brackets I picked up along the way, and some spacers and washers and all that. And I didn't even need to worry about AC.
IMG_2573 resized.jpg
IMG_2619 resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Yea I’ll get it squared away once I have the proper pullies still not sure how it ended up with only one wrong pulley or how it didn’t eat or throw belts faster with how far off it is.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yea I’ll get it squared away once I have the proper pullies still not sure how it ended up with only one wrong pulley or how it didn’t eat or throw belts faster with how far off it is.

It seems to be common, my last 2 Olds SB were a mixed up mess. Also remember the triple groove A/C pulleys are overdriven which also help cooling, so match to the largest crank pulley.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Well the pulleys ive discovered would be a matched set as per the factory service manual so it should be correct I just have to obtain the correct water pump pulley. Which is what I’m working on problem is I don’t have much money and of course all the easy to find KK pullies cost and I’m on a time crunch [emoji58]

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Don't worry, most of us are broke and cobble sh*t together. I will hopefully make some progress on the Olds Serpentine conversion on my 88.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor