Scanmaster problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Specifically the scanmaster I just installed in the car doesn't even power up. It's a Scanmaster G (gauge style, so slightly different than the original to install, but wires up the same way from what I can tell. I ran the three wires down the inside of the A pillar to the scanmaster, connected them as shown in the instructions, the red power wire I connected to an open slot on the fuse panel (IGN 3) using the supplied blade connectors. The white comms wire I connected to the port marked SCM or whatever on the I/O block (which I installed behind the glove box) that comes with the power logger. The ground wire is also connected to a spare ground on the I/O block (I know it's not the most ideal ground, but it was right there). Then the VGA type cable connects to the I\O block, to the corresponding port on the power logger. Seems like all the connections are strong, though I didn't take a multimeter to them to see if they are.

The problem is, on Saturdaythe car was running with the data logger connected, but not the scanmaster. Today I finally got around to wiring it in under the dash tucked up nice, as well as removed some previous owner wiring hijinx from under there. Now the car starts, but the scanmaster doesn't even power up, and worse yet, the digital dash seems to have stopped working, the idiot lights blink and stuff like they should, but none of the digital gauges light up, they worked fine a couple days ago.

anyone have any suggestions? Is there some type of power up process for the scanmaster? The instructions are pretty poor... I followed them as best as I could, I'm 99% sure I connected it the way it is supposed to be. I'm confused why it's doing absolutely nothing.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'd ground it properly first. I don't know Jack Schitt about a Scanmaster (other than it's obsolete, right, Mike?LOL), BUT I can tell you that bad mojo happens when things start looking for a ground!

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I'd ground it properly first. I don't know Jack Schitt about a Scanmaster (other than it's obsolete, right, Mike?LOL), BUT I can tell you that bad mojo happens when things start looking for a ground!

Yeah, maybe that'll be my first step. It's frustrating these things are supposed to be pretty fool proof, but I guess maybe I'm a bigger fool than most. 🤔

The grounds on the I/O block should be fine, just not as good as plugging into the ground on the Aldl or whatever it is called OBD1 port, or grounding to the frame or engine block. Hopefully that will solve it... I'm not optimistic though.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Well it wasn't the ground, I think the unit is defective. Gonna have to contact the manufacturer and try to get a replacement. I'm pretty mad because I kinda can't move forward at this point without it. Car runs like complete crap but that could be because of a ton of different things. Without a diagnostic tool I'd just be throwing money at it hoping for the best, when it could be something as simple as the throttle position sensor being out of whack.

I moved the ground from the I/O block to metal under the dash, no change, then moved it to the ground on the OBD1 port the way a lot of people have them hooked up. Nothing. Then I figured it may be problem with the powerlogger or the I/O block for the powerlogger... So I unplugged the Comms wire from the powerlogger and plugged it directly into the diagnostic/serial data port on the OBD1 plug... Still absolutely nothing, doesn't even power on. There's no way the power connection is bad. So I really can only conclude that the unit must be bad.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well it wasn't the ground, I think the unit is defective. Gonna have to contact the manufacturer and try to get a replacement. I'm pretty mad because I kinda can't move forward at this point without it. Car runs like complete crap but that could be because of a ton of different things. Without a diagnostic tool I'd just be throwing money at it hoping for the best, when it could be something as simple as the throttle position sensor being out of whack.

I moved the ground from the I/O block to metal under the dash, no change, then moved it to the ground on the OBD1 port the way a lot of people have them hooked up. Nothing. Then I figured it may be problem with the powerlogger or the I/O block for the powerlogger... So I unplugged the Comms wire from the powerlogger and plugged it directly into the diagnostic/serial data port on the OBD1 plug... Still absolutely nothing, doesn't even power on. There's no way the power connection is bad. So I really can only conclude that the unit must be bad.

you are way too early for this, you need to throw parts at it and be on page 34 before you ask anything about a scanner......:cool:

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
you are way too early for this, you need to throw parts at it and be on page 34 before you ask anything about a scanner......:cool:
Hardy har har... LoL.

It would be funny if it wasn't so damn frustrating. I don't have nearly as much time to mess with the car as I'd like so a set back like this costs me precious time.

Since the scanner is a bust for today, I decided to start trying to sort out the mess of a rats nest some previous owner made with the vacuum lines, things hooked up totally wrong, vacuum check valves installed backwards. What a mess. Not to mention there is several check valves missing, so that's beautiful, so it's been pumping god only knows how many pounds of boost pressure, into components that are only supposed to see vacuum. Off to the store to get some check valves.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
maybe this would help..

Maybe worth a try. I need to try to get ahold of Bob Bailey the guy who makes them and see what he says, maybe he'll just exchange it. The one thing I'll say is I bought the scanmaster and the powerlogger directly from Bailey Engineering, not a third party vendor, and the paperwork that it came with said it should be fully up to date when shipped.

Reactions: 1 user

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I could start a new rant thread, but trip to the parts store was frustrating and partially a waste of time... First I went to advanced auto parts with THEIR part number off their website and the idiot at the counter wants to know what kind of car it's for... Doesn't matter I said, do you have that part number? No he says... Are you sure it says you do online, I say? Oh... Well I'll go check. Sure enough they have it... What the hell was the point of giving me a hard time about it, when I came in with the part number of exactly what I wanted and handed it to him? Next I go to to AutoZone because it says they have the other one I need two of... Of course they don't actually have it.

Not that AutoZone or Advanced Auto are local businesses, but what is the point of even going to the store these days? I should have just hung it up for the day and ordered everything I need online and not bother trying to get things at a brick and mortar store... Which these days is almost always just a waste of time.

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
You state, "no way it is the power" and go on to tell of things that worked until you cut and removed wiring under the dash. This seems to be a problem as you state the dash worked prior to the removal.

You need a meter and wiring diagram and start checking things for power. If it doesn't power up a lack of power or ground would be high on my list of things to check out. This goes for the under dash stuff too.
I don't have a G but the regular SM is a pretty easy hook up. I have a spade on the data wire and an old phone charger cig lighter spliced on to the power. Works great and is portable. Maybe some temp wires to the SM with known good power(seen with the above mentioned meter) and a temp wire to the aldl. If that powers it up you know thew wiring or source is the prob. If not an exchange is probably in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor