New daily driver project (Goodbye Scion xB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Tried to get my wife to drive one. I thought it would be cool.

Mine would kill me instantly if I offered it to her :X3: She loves her Suzuki Jimny, square and bolt small 4x4.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
While I have two Malibus, I'm not driving them every day like the Scion. I really know this car and shift by feel at this point. That used to be the old wagon two decades ago. The imprinting remains, and I'll miss the 'Skate when it's gone. Cars have gotten so complicated. And ugly. The xB however, is 'bold'.

Glad to hear you've had a good experience with yours. I know these little things are adored by many. Honestly before I got this one I thought they were little sh*tboxes, but its really proven me wrong. Even at 75mph it is quieter than my Cavalier was and drives nicer altogether. It won't win any races, but it gets you from A to B! This is my first non-GM product, so I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. In a way I wished it was manual, but the auto isn't too bad.

I just finished the ~200 mile trip back to school and it did great! No issues, only got 28mpg on the first fill up, but I'm sure that will improve as time goes on. I don't really have too big of plans for it. I'd like to upgrade the audio system to make it a little more tolerable. A maybe get a new (non-dented) hatch for it to clean it up a little. I'm impressed so far!

Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Buckle up, this is a story.

I’ve had the xB about a year with little issue. I had a tire puncture (sitting in my driveway somehow) so I put a new set of Goodyear Eagle RS-A’s on in 195/60/15 size. They are a little taller and wider than stock and really improved the ride.
The cruise control has stopped working after it rains, I still need to diagnose. There is a clicking noise when coming to a stop from 20mph-0 when applying the brakes, possibly a warped rotor? I upgraded the factory front speakers with a set of component JBL’s which made the sound tolerable.

It really has been a great little car and it has totally changed my perception of them. With that being said, I’m just not sure it fits the kind of driving I am doing. Mostly highway driving 65mph+ in most areas. The little 1.5 liter engine is fine for flat ground, but forget it if you encounter a grade or need to pass somebody. I get around 30mpg. My old 2.2l Cavalier Z24 I could routinely break the 33mpg mark.

So I had some cash saved up, I decided it was time for something new. I figured now was the time to do it because as I drive the Scion more its worth less and less, and the cars I was looking at were not exactly new, so who knows what kind of mileage they would have if I waited 2-3 years.

My requirements were

<$8,000
GM Product
Preferably newer than 2006
<140,000 miles
Sunroof
Nice interior
Power!

Here were the candidates:

2008-2012 Chevy Malibu LTZ (V6). My mom had one of these cars and it was awesome. Cheap to maintain, plenty of power, nice interior, quiet

2012-2017 Buick Regal GS. Still a little out of my price range at this point, interior has enough buttons to launch a space shuttle.

2008-2013 Cadillac CTS (RWD only), coupe, sedan, or wagon. haven’t driven one of these but the interiors are awesome. I wanted a luxury trim or higher with the nav radio so I could add a carplay module to it. I also was not considering an AWD, they had some issues with transfer cases breaking the stripping the splines on the transmission output shaft.

2013-present Cadillac XTS/Chevy Impala. These are great cars, but the option packages I wanted are still a little out of my price range. Besides I don’t really need that big of a sedan.

2013-present Cadillac ATS. Again, a little out of my price range for the options I want. But this may be the logic progression in a few years.

I really had my heart set on a Malibu. I love the way those cars look and drive, and prices were really coming down! I was really looking for a Black Granite Metallic with Black Interior. But for some reason the black interior cars were really hard to find. I did find a 2008, with the exterior color I wanted, but it had the black/brick (orange) interior that I didn’t know if I could live with. I also found a 2012 silver metallic with black interior, a little higher mileage, but cheap! I went to look at it (sketchy used car lot) and the car was a lot rougher than pictures led on.

Then I remembered driving by this car local to me. It was advertised as a 2011, Gold Mist Metallic, Cocoa/Cashmere interior. The interior color started to grow on me. I had my dad run the vin for service history through GM. Originally in Charlotte, NC until 82,000 miles, then to a second owner in Columbia, SC at 90,000, the traded back into a dealer and sold at auction with 118,000 miles.

I knew the car wasn’t perfect, but I think it was the best honest, complete example I had seen. I ran a carfax (I know not everything is reported.) I uncovered a few minor accidents (front and rear) which I suspected when I found old photos of the car with bumpers all scratched.

I got some cash out and went to take a look at it. As suspected, repainted front and rear bumpers, but with bumper supports untouched-a good sign, probably just backed into something in a parking lot. It will need 4 tires-good negotiating platform.

Took it for a test drive. Engine/tranmission feels strong, no recent cleared trouble codes. All the bells and whistles work. It needs a right front hub bearing and the brakes pulsate. I pull into a parking lot so we can look underneath and check it out. Really clean, exhaust is a little off center (consistent with a minor rear ender) but body gaps are great. Passenger side carpet is a little wet and the car has air-fresheners everywhere, so sunroof leak. Looks to be a clogged drain.

So after some haggling I take the car home. They wanted 7, I gave $5500. It cost me $282 to register, so I think I’m in pretty good shape after the minor repairs I need to make!

Here’s the to-do to get me up and running:

Hub bearing
Rotate/check tire balance
Alignment
Right side rearview mirror actuator
Replace shifter knob (see photos)
Tires (in a few months)
Replace fog light bulbs

5D0CF219-FA89-4EE8-AC03-62D282F38D69.jpeg
9F71CA15-AE53-4C20-85AB-03F36B7C7D3F.jpeg
CCAFD127-C4F0-4E79-A505-D916178926DB.jpeg
216187CC-2393-42EB-8C16-6F32EA849710.jpeg
9A17CB7F-5B42-4378-A4EA-9817B99FC299.jpeg

I know the car needs a deep cleaning, this is just something I couldn’t live with. When we test drove the car my dad said “oh the steering wheel needs to be replaced, its all melted.” I just smirked because I knew exactly what that was.
CCBDAA63-553D-45C5-B0C1-DAF5BF5057F4.jpeg
3E11FAAA-245B-404B-B7C3-CDA096141F85.jpeg

You guessed it, that’s 120,000 miles of skin and dirt! Cleaned up well though.
9C221ADB-6ABA-43B9-A59E-81312EAA7BD5.jpeg
89108EF7-5BAA-43B0-8398-EA2AF01403CB.jpeg

The shifter, not so much. The dye is coming off and it will start to get sticky in the summer.
2C4515C5-82A0-4208-AD5D-342EBF5DB525.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
We’ve been busy getting this car squared away. The registration on my scion runs out on 3/14, so I was trying to avoid renewing the registration again.

Here’s whats been done:

-passenger front hub replaced
-alignment
-check tire balance (one wheel is slightly bent, one tire has what looks to be a slight belt shift)
-all 4 rotors machined (needs pads, have them ordered)
-realigned exhaust
-replaced 2 tire pressure sensors
-replaced shift knob

I spent 6 hours saturday getting the interior dialed in, and about 6 hours today getting the exterior presentable. The car has heavy iron and tar contamination. Clay removed some, but I have some iron/tar remover on order to take care of the rest.

To do:

-change brake pads (this weekend, while I have the wheels off I’ll give the wheels a deep clean. I need to paint the calipers and rotors)
-oil change (this weekend)

So far after I put a set of tires on this thing I’ll be into it for around $6600. Not bad in my opinon! I drove it for the first time since I bought it. Man this thing is quiet, comfortable, gets decent fuel mileage, and has some passing power! I think this one is worth keeping for a while and putting some money into.
9850A9F0-F01B-428A-9F6B-24C0A453D54A.jpeg
FBF2D87A-0CA5-4BD8-8427-DB2533C3CB02.jpeg
EDB832FF-39BB-4F07-8F65-47EDB7B1E0DA.jpeg
3B4DC6D7-F4B2-4764-BBE0-D26A1893DF2C.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor