Scoop Mock Ups For The Monte

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So with my new big block going in my Monte I decided I wanted to run an actual air filter instead of the air pan I made 7 years ago, the problem is I need more clearance since no air cleaners will fit under my 4" bolt on cowl hood and since a 6" cowl hood is only comes as a lift off I don't consider it an option.
So my next option was to find a scoop that I can put on my cowl, an aero scoop would be too tall (shortest is 5") and with only a 20" wide cowl the options were limited so I decided to go with this one to give me the height I need.
I am still doing mock ups at this point and obviously it will be black when I am done.
Like it or not it serves a functional purpose.
20170903_193019_resized.jpg
20170903_193007_resized.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
i get the functional thing, but i hate scoops on scoops. They look like an afterthought. IMO very out of place on your car, where attention to detail is a clear theme.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
i get the functional thing, but i hate scoops on scoops. They look like an afterthought. IMO very out of place on your car, where attention to detail is a clear theme.
Well, I agree this was not something I really wanted to do.
When I bought the 4" cowl I thought I would be able to fit something under there and I bought 3 different air cleaners even K & N's 16" drop base it came the closest to fitting but still didn't so I made the air pan that gets unfiltered windshield air figuring it was better than nothing.
I just don't want to run the new engine without an actual air cleaner, maybe I can get a custom bolt on 6" cowl made at some point but this will have to get me by for now.
Thanks and I appreciate your opinion.

Attachments

• normal_hpqscan0003.jpg
    normal_hpqscan0003.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 138

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Do you have a pic from a far angle.looks different I like
This is the only other picture I took like I said these are just mock ups.
20170903_192622_resized.jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Would a custom ducted set up based off a modern car work? Find a good spot that has air flow for an air box then pipe it to the carb.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Would a custom ducted set up based off a modern car work? Find a good spot that has air flow for an air box then pipe it to the carb.
I don't have room under there for anything like that and the radiator is completely sealed off to the grill plus the Dominator carb limits me to what I can put on it.
I was thinking of a Spectre dual filter set up but again with the lack of room I couldn't get the filters out of the engine compartment and they would end up being over the headers.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I didn't realized it was that tight under the hood.
Normally it wouldn't be but I have a lot of engine with a large support system.
IMG_1477.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor