Score of The Week: Carter AVS 4 Barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I got it from my school's now defunct (depressing to say that) auto shop room. I traded the teacher an old Chevy Qjet and a handful of choke parts for it. If the numbers are what I think they are, I think this is a 1966 327 275hp carb... yes? Anyone have any more info on these? are they easy to rebuild? Never even so much as touched a Carter/Edelbrock before. Always had Holleys and Qjets. I got it for free, so whatever it's worth is money in my pocket. I've seen these in the shape I have it as low as 80 bucks but ones perfectly rebuild and working as high as 800 believe it or not, so I really don't know what to make of it. Any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• carter6.jpg
    carter6.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 96
  • carter5.jpg
    carter5.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 120
  • carter4.jpg
    carter4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 106
  • carter3.jpg
    carter3.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 97
  • carter2.jpg
    carter2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 108
  • carter1.jpg
    carter1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 107

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
I tried one on a dirt car of mine once and it was not as desirable as a Q-jet, being the Qjet out performed it by a long shot.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
don't want to the be the bearer of bad news but before you put any money and time into it...

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/CarterFourBarrelCarburetors.htm
"
AVS

Carter introduced the AVS in 1966. Chevrolet used it on the 275 horsepower 327. The acronym AVS meant “air valve secondary”. Basically, the first incarnation of the AVS was an attempt to place the “demand” spring tension secondary on the square-bore AFB style carburetor. From a manufacturing standpoint, much less expensive to produce the spring tension secondary than the weighted airvalve. Chevrolet used it one year, but then dropped the AVS in favor of the Rochester Quadrajet. Carter still thought it could work, and during 1967 did lots of R & D on the primary circuit, utilizing the 3 step step-up rods and some differences in the primary venturi cluster (remember the Clean Air Act of 1966, to take effect with the 1968 model year had just passed). Due to the really precise lower RPM metering characteristics on the revised AVS carburetor (useful for smog emission calibrations), Chrysler purchased them for use beginning with the 1968 model year. These carburetors were quite troublesome, and before the final demise of the AVS after the 1971 model year, the AVS sometimes didn’t last as long on a new muscle car as the first tank of gasoline! Most enthusiasts changed them out, either for pre-smog AFB units or for Holleys. Carter did make one final attempt to market the AVS in 1972, as they offered several aftermarket versions. However, these didn’t sell; if fact, I have never seen one!

A total 55 different models of the AVS were produced, in two different CFM sizes. The ones with both primary and secondary throttle bores the same size are 750 CFM; the others are 630 CFM.

All AVS carburetors that I have seen have been stamped with the identification number on the passenger side front throttle body edge. Some have also had the metal tag.

Since we will not rebuild the 1968 and newer AVS units, I cannot offer any tips on rebuilding."

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Eh, I'm still gonna keep it. Rebuild it at some point. In the meantime it will be on craigslist for 50 bucks for any dude who wants it I guess.
There are people that restore 66 chevy's with 327s. A 327 doesn't need much over 600cfm anyway with a mild cam. I'm just curious to see how it'd do on an engine. I wouldn't waste all the time putting it on mine though. It looks mostly complete except for what, some linkage and a choke pull off? These connected to divorced choke if I remember,.
And just look at that core charge... 150 simolians. Jesus.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Well, at least it will save somebody money if they don't have a core.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor