Sealing a high pressure A/C switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
This is a 94 sbc serpentine conversion compressor on my 88 Cutlass. I installed a new switch and O ring and it still leaked but slower. I put JB weld on top of it, still leaked. I actually don't need it to function, can I block off the port inside the compressor to it? Any sealant that will seal and hold up to the pressure of the A/C high side? Thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
try this stuff and let it cure
56521CF.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I will give it a try. I am throwing on a new condensor. It is pretty beat up with bent fins and was probably the reason for the sudden big leak, plus I want maximum air flow for the 350. Either that or the evaporator🙂.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Are you talking about the pressure switch in the compressor that is held in with a snap ring?
Yes, on top of the compressor.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I picked up the Permatex epoxy and their version of JB Weld, which I like better than JB Weld. The epoxy is good for 25,000 psi and 30,000 for their cold weld according to them.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I don't plan on using this switch. I assumed it was a high side, high pressure cut off switch. It is a high side, low pressure cutoff switch, could care less.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I actually bought the self mixing 5 min Permatex Epoxy since it is 35,000 psi rated, good to 180 degrees and resistant to most chemicals. I removed the O ring, cleaned the cavity with brake clean and the metal sensor body since I broke out the plastic part, filled the O ring groove, put the snap ring in place and put a good layer over top. It will sit for months before use. I would never touch a R4 compressor again, just in too deep. What a PIA to work on, changing the clutch was brutal and this switch leaked even with a new switch and O ring. Hopefully this works along with a new condensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor