Sean's 78 Camaro Z28

Should we leave the wheels grey or paint them body color?

• Leave grey

• Paint blue to match the body car, the way the car was when new

Results are only viewable after voting.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well, well... That car turned out better than I even expected. I'm sad to say that I have not even seen it in person, since the paint was completed. My show schedule, and the fact that I work nights, doesn't leave much time for hanging out (Dammit). It's been too long since I have been on this forum.

Jared, thanks for reaching out to me yesterday...I appreciate it. You, and your family are class act folks, and can't wait to see you guys. Please encourage Sean to get this car out to the shows. Erik ( 83 Hurst Olds ) and I are to get together at the Halloween Car Show at the Funeral Museum on October 27. I sure would like to see this car there. Now I better get to work on my punch list... See you soon.

Thanks James. It's good to hear from you. Sean and I are planning to come to Freddie's next Friday 8/17 and we're planning to bring the Camaro. Dad will likely come as well. It's been good reconnecting with you recently. I'm looking forward to seeing you and your car again. I spoke to Eric recently and he was telling me about the Halloween show. I'll have to make that event and see if I can get the guys to come along.

That turned out very nicely

Thanks Micheal. I appreciate the compliment. It's not perfect but there is a lot of nice work in the car. I always feel good when my brother is driving it to work and enjoying it. I'm glad I could help him have the car he always wanted.

Reactions: 2 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
Your quite welcome I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Pro-touring car.So I know the work involved. Now take it out an enjoy,

Attachments

• 130044932860518017_26257430996_o (1).jpg
    130044932860518017_26257430996_o (1).jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: 1 users

Jdel75

n00b
Mar 7, 2019
IMG_20181228_175725.jpg
I was reading about your Z28 build, really like 78-81 z's when there done original but with class. Came across the part where mentioned your dad's custom plates for his '57. I'm curious if he sold the car and was it a TX car? Cause if so then my dad and I had it for bout 10 years. Red '57 327 w/4spd Muncie black low back bucket seats w/white piping. Car was changed quite a bit, we went to 388 stroker but same good ol Muncie and solid bla

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
View attachment 107878 I was reading about your Z28 build, really like 78-81 z's when there done original but with class. Came across the part where mentioned your dad's custom plates for his '57. I'm curious if he sold the car and was it a TX car? Cause if so then my dad and I had it for bout 10 years. Red '57 327 w/4spd Muncie black low back bucket seats w/white piping. Car was changed quite a bit, we went to 388 stroker but same good ol Muncie and solid bla
Looks like your post got cut off there mid sentence.

Wow! It sounds like they could be the same car. Wouldn't that be cool if they were? Here's some history on Dad's 57:

Dad bought the car in 1979 in League City, TX, where we lived at the time. It was in sad shape. He restored the car in just a few years. He painted it silver and it had a black interior with low back buckets out of a first generation Firebird. I don't remember the white piping but I'll ask Dad. He put in a brand new Targetmaster 350 "crate engine" (I don't think they were called crate engines back then, it was just a new 350 from GM) and a Muncie 4 speed. It had Corvette Rally wheels on it. He converted the car from generator to alternator. He converted the engine mounts from the original front mounting style to the more modern side mounting style. It had an HEI distributor. It was a manual steering, manual drum brake, non-A/C car (none of that being surprising for a 57 Chevy. He put the 1-piece "California" front bumper on the car. It was loaded with NOS trim. He and a friend went all over Texas to small town dealers and bought up what they still had in stock. The car was mechanically new front to back when he finished it. He drove it to Los Angeles and back. It was also in the Super Dome for the Tri-Five Chevy show in 1983.

He sold it in 83 or 84. If your Dad bought it around that time and it had those plates, then I'm guessing it is the same car. I'll see Dad tonight so we'll talk about it.

It seems like I remember hearing rumors that the car got painted red after Dad sold it, so it could be the same car. I don't have any pictures of the car on my PC here at work but you've motivated me to scan them in so I'll follow up. Do you have any pictures?

I just remembered, something else that might confirm it is the same car. I'm foggy on this but I think I remember Dad drilled the dash on the lower left side with a hole saw for one or two aftermarket gauges (Stewart Warner?).

I was about 7-8 years old when the car was sold. I hated it when it got sold. That car is the reason I'm a car guy. Thanks for reaching out. I hope to hear back from you.

Best,

Jared

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
View attachment 107878 I was reading about your Z28 build, really like 78-81 z's when there done original but with class. Came across the part where mentioned your dad's custom plates for his '57. I'm curious if he sold the car and was it a TX car? Cause if so then my dad and I had it for bout 10 years. Red '57 327 w/4spd Muncie black low back bucket seats w/white piping. Car was changed quite a bit, we went to 388 stroker but same good ol Muncie and solid bla
I talked to my Dad about this a few weeks ago. He sold the car in 1983 to a gentleman named Jim Eagle. The car was repainted what my Dad described as burgundy. Jim Eagle and my Dad were mutual friends of Carroll Allred. Mr. Allred and my Dad were both independent distributors of Borden's milk back then. Hope to hear back from you for confirmation that it's the same car. When I scan some pictures in, I'll start a new thread on the car and I'll link to it from here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
1557011322012.png

Thought of Sean...

Reactions: 5 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
How have I not seen this thread before?!?

Such great work! Just read the whole thing, wow man, loved it!
Great way to spend an hour. You're welcome...:giggle:

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor