Seat belt acnchor plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArsonSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2011
I recently had my new floor pan installed in my 85 Monte SS but the welder didn't weld in the seat belt anchor plates located on the tunnel. My question is "Are there any universal kits for this?" or Do I have to drop the trans to install and Does anyone know where I can find the anchor plates? Appreciate any help I can get.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
When I was in manufacturing and installing aftermarket seatbelts we used grade 8 hardware with the biggest washers we had. When I put the 3 point seat belts in the back seat of my GP I cut a piece of 1/8 inch steel about 3x3 with a hole in the middle and used grade 8 hardware.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have a 5 point harness so I made my own using 1/4" plate with a hole in it and then welding a grade 8 nut to it which is facing down and then welding the plate in.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm not familiar with the shear strength of any of the commercial panel adhesives, so I'm not sure I could recommend gluing a backing plate with nut to the underside by reaching past the trans.

I can tell you that unless the backing plate you use is secured by something equivalent to weld strength the bolt will be able to tear through the floor sheetmetal like butter in a violent impact.

For the sake of safety I'd be dropping the trans to have it welded on.

• Agree

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Plug welds from top side, no need to pull trans. You want to weld the thin metal to the thick anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The seat belt anchors on my Malibu, and the ones in my 79 cutlass, are way behind the trans. It’s probably like 18”. I have a th350, but I can’t imagine any other trans being that much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor